Thermal Analysis Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Attributes and Performance /
This is what you’ll do:
· Lead vehicle internal/external aerothermal design through simulation analysis
· Prepare, run and post-process Solar, Thermal, Electronics Cooling and Human Comfort simulations using coupled TAITherm/RadTherm and Star CCM. (Thermal/solar radiation, heat transfer, TaiTherm, Star CCM, HVAC module/ducting/vent design, human comfort modeling, electronics cooling)
· Correlate simulations with Solar, Thermal & Human Comfort physical tests
· Compile and present reports with simulation results
· Collaborate with the Studio, Thermal, Interior teams to develop innovative and efficient HVAC and cooling strategies
· Propose solutions to issues when found
· Lead individual efforts and perform as a part of cross-functional team
This is what you’ll need:
· Engineering (Mechanical/Aerospace) Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree from an accredited University with a strong background in CFD and Thermal Science courses
· Experience in using TaiTherm for solar, thermal, electronics cooling and human thermal comfort analysis
· CFD software experience (StarCCM+, Fluent, Powerflow)
· Mesh Preparation experience (with ANSA or PowerDELTA or ICEM) for Star CCM and TaiTherm
· 3+ years’ experience in aerothermal analysis or HVAC design or electronics cooling preferred
· CAD experience (CATIA, Solidworks, NX, ALIAS)
· Proven track record of problem solving and independent root cause analysis
· Electronics cooling analysis experience with FlowTherm/Icepack or research background will be a plus
· Thermal chamber/Climatic wind tunnel testing experience a great plus
· Automotive/FSAE experience desirable
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Attributes & Simulation
Location: Irvine, CA or Plymouth, MI
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.