Battery Cell Engineer, Electromechanical Research
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Determine kinetic and thermal dynamic and thermal properties of lithium ion cells.
· Build three-electrode cells to determine maximum charging rate of anode and cathode electrodes at different temperature and SOC to support fast charge development.
· Perform EIS and extract kinetic of the cells.
· Work closely with modelling engineer, extract parameters form cell to build and validate models.
· Dissect and harvest cell’s components (electrodes, electrolyte and separator) and investigate their degradation mechanisms and failure modes using different electrochemical techniques and analytical instruments.
· Develop new methods/tools to identify degradation mechanisms and lifetime prediction for lithium ion batteries.
· Train other cell engineers and technicians.
This is what you’ll need:
· PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science with more than 5 years working on lithium ion batteries in academia/industrial.
· Can work independently with minimum supervision. Work well in a team.
· Strong understanding about electrochemistry; kinetic and thermal dynamic of the cells.
· Hands on experience in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT… Knowing the principle of how these equipment work.
· Strong experience in applying electrochemical method for cell degradation analysis.
· Demonstrated experience on cell’s characterization.
· Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
· Hands on building testing cells from raw materials to coin cell, pouch cell...
· Experience in working with glove-box, handling air-sensitive materials.
· Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
· Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
· Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
· Good communication and time management skills.
· Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.