Sr. System Engineer - Powertrain
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Propulsion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Lead Design of gearbox and driveline systems from concept to production release
· Perform research, design and development of driveline systems.
· Develop and mature concepts and advanced designs following design creation process
· Coordinate, confirm and review the definition of interfaces, specifications, and requirements of the components.
· Lead the coordination of the interfaces between components with systems or design responsible engineers.
· Support and liaison with suppliers and manufacturing for component specifications and definition
· Provide technical support and system analysis for root cause analysis of development issues
· Provide professional reports and documentation for the system with information provided by design responsible engineers
· Coordinate, lead and participate in design reviews
this is what you’ll need:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering with a minimum 10 years of relevant experience required. Degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
· Expertise in the following areas: Driveline, Transmission, or eAxle Fundamentals, how to interpret technical drawings, GD&T, Tolerance Stacks, system and component design of gears, bearings and housings.
· An understanding of gears and gear analysis including gear microgeometry and microgeometry
· An understanding of bearings, bearing types, and basic parameters of bearing geometry
· A general understanding on how to interpret and mature a product with results from structural NVH and FEA.
· The ability to work independently, and to lead, coach and mentor others
· Basic CAD knowledge, including ability to review designs within CATIA
· The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management
· An understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
· An understanding of gearbox and driveline fundamentals
· Dynamic attitude with desire to learn and expand your knowledge and capability
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Powertrain Engineering
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.