Sr. Manager, Diagnostics Engineering
Palo Alto, CA /
Service Operations – Service /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
● Manage team of Engineers with broad variety of Engineering disciplines and vehicle focus areas
● Support the highest level of remote technical diagnosis for individual and fleet level concerns
● Foster close collaboration between Reliability and Engineering teams to provide accurate field reporting
● Conduct root cause analysis of system failures or shortcomings as well as aid in product improvement through conception, implementation and rollout of improved hardware or software
● Hire diverse team of highly capable diagnostic engineers and scale team according to demand volume as Rivian vehicle fleet and product lines expand
● Develop rapid diagnostic best practices and processes with focus on technician experience and decreasing total vehicle down time
● Develop sustainable team culture and positive work environment to maximize team member retention
● Develop team member skills through coaching, training and mentorship
● Aid in development of the Service Operating System to ensure ease of use and data capture requirements for teams upstream and downstream of Engineering level support
● Develop metric driven approach to ensure vehicle diagnostic and repair time is kept to a minimum
● Lead team efforts to develop technical content such as Theory of Operation Documents and support collaboration between Technical Publications Team to publish content for internal use
● Develop strategies to streamline and in some cases automate diagnosis for all major vehicle systems with the goal of shortening the service repair process
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· 5+ years of Managerial experience in Technical support, with emphasis in engineering and vehicle diagnostics a plus
· BS or MS preferred in related discipline
· Experience in automotive diagnostics development
· Proven success in driving service support requirements in a complex environment
· Broad experience defining, launching, and driving strategic process design initiatives to establish and improve internal and external processes and operations
· Track record of working closely with cross-functional teams and stakeholders in a technology environment
· Process design experience, with proven ability to understand, document, and transform complex processes
· Strong analytical and structured problem-solving capabilities with high level analytical ability where opportunities for improvement are unusual and complex
· Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with internal and external partners
· Experience in a startup environment and scaling teams from a blank slate is a plus.
· Strong written and communications skills
· Extremely detail oriented
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Service Operations
Location: Palo Alto, CA
We Are Rivian
· Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
· We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
· Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
The Adventure Is Just Beginning
· Doing something different is never easy. It requires courage, optimism and grit. Core to delivering on our vision is building a team of curious individuals, determined to make a positive impact on the world. This means challenging ourselves, stretching beyond the bounds of conventional thinking, reframing old problems, seeking new solutions and operating comfortably in a space of uncertainty.
· Our team has a diverse set of backgrounds— but at heart, we are adventurers on a mission to move the world in a new direction. We’re currently looking for thinkers and doers with a strong sense of adventure to join us on this journey.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.