Powertrain Integration Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Propulsion /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Define, coordinate, develop, source, and deliver components required to execute Rivian’s powertrain system.
· Design sub-systems and components for various powertrain components including castings, rotating components, surrounding structures, and ancillaries.
· Generate/revise detailed 3D CAD models and 2D of powertrain related parts.
· Review designs & drawings for completeness and accuracy.
· Inform/guide decision makers on powertrain details as new vehicle programs are conceptualized.
· Cascade vehicle and system level requirements into actionable component requirements
· Analyze and verify of preliminary and detailed designs with analytical calculations and numerical (FEA) as required.
· Validate drive system performance according to existing tests or self-generated tests where required.
· Develop component technical specifications, DVP&Rs, test plans as well as Statements of Work (SOW) as required.
· Evaluate products, parts, processes, DFM and DFA for cost efficiency and reliability.
· Lead and coordinate supplier technical meetings.
· Work closely with purchasing to competitively source components
· Work closely with supplier quality Team to ensure product quality
· Travel directly to Rivian’s manufacturing plant to resolve issues related to powertrain parts,
· Ensure timely completion of project design deliverables including designs, drawings, analyses and other documentations as required.
· Collaborate with other members of the engineering staff to support both project and internal R&D efforts.
· Perform FEA and/or MASTA analysis to optimize powertrain system design.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· BSME degree with in mechanical/electrical engineering
· 10+ years of experience related automotive design, release, and production
Favorable experience includes:
· HV Distribution Systems
· Electric Propulsion Systems (Motor, Gearbox, Inverter)
· Half shafts/Driveline Systems
· Drive System Mount Design
· Managing BOM content and attributes in PLM/SAP systems (Enovia direct experience preferred)
· Managing BOM variants and facilitating part revisions through approval and implementation processes
· Launching new models/products into automotive high volume production
· Working with manufacturing teams and suppliers to understand and implement DFM/DFA learnings
· Gear analysis software packages (MASTA preferred)
· Proficiency in CAD; CATIA V5/V6 strongly preferred
· Proficiency in GD&T, tolerance stack-up analyses (linear & radial) and high speed shrink fit analysis.
· Experience with FEA conducting stress analysis on various components and assemblies comprised of various metals and plastics.
· Extensive experience in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA.
· Detailed knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques of drive unit assembly process for both low & high-volume production.
· Familiarity with electric & hydraulic dynamometers.
· A wide degree of creativity and latitude with minimal supervision is expected
· Experience in manufacturing best practices, and processes required to achieve a high level of quality while being open to new processes/practices.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.