Payroll Tax Specialist
Remote - USA /
Human Resources – Human Resources /
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, San Jose, Irvine, and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Responsible for ensuring that all federal, state, or local tax returns and related statements or records are validated and correct by reconciling all balances. This would include W2’s and any required filings. Act as a subject matter expert for researching, troubleshooting, and resolving integration and production issues, payroll processing errors and escalations, applying best practices and ensuring long-standing solutions. Understand cross functional impacts of certain configuration decisions/touch points, downstream impact of changes to the configuration, data, and integrations.
- Research, interprets, and understands existing or revised tax codes, laws, or forms. and suggests responses to changes in tax law, regulations, and guidelines. Maintains current knowledge of payroll tax laws and ensures compliance with federal and state guidelines and resolves any compliance issues with taxing authorities. Engage with the Workday HCM and payroll teams to ensure appropriate business processes and security is implemented and maintained.
- Answers questions and researches discrepancies. Reconciles and analyzes general ledger transactions for the Finance/Accounting department when needed
- Streamline and revise payroll procedures; recommend and implement changes leading to best practices and provide solutions to payroll, human resources, and finance.
- Validates reports and works with payroll provider and HRIS to ensure all information is captured. Oversee the processing and maintenance of annual W-2’s, taxable fringe benefit input, ACA reporting; develop reports to summarize this data.
- Responsible for daily monitoring of agency notices and other tax related requests and correspondence. This includes updates made to SUI rates and other company specific setups.
- Provide support to year-end tax reporting and work with vendors to ensure all imputed income is captured and appropriately reported.
- Sets up new agency states/locals when needed and maintains relationships based on employee demographics data
- Provide Monthly/Quarterly/Annual reconciliations and analysis of filings (Includes W2’s, 940, 941’s)
- Continually identify process and system improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Coordinate new account coding/mapping in payroll system.
- Ensure accuracy of system integration files.
- Assists in transmitting payroll files for processing.
- Ensures that mandatory and voluntary withholdings and deductions are accurately calculated and reported for employee population
- Maintains payroll related files and records including all tax filings and payments.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required.
- 5+ years processing taxes in a corporate, multi-state/country environment.
- Experience with Workday Payroll and HCM is required.
- Payroll procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws and regulations related to payroll.
- Analytical Thinking required.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines while maintaining accuracy.
- Excellent time management techniques, and quality service fundamentals.
- Performs work under minimal supervision.
- Handles complex issues and problems and refers only the most complex issues to higher-level staff.
- Organized and focused to drive meaningful results, process improvements, manage complexity, and meet operational deadlines.
- Strong ability to work as a team, strong collaboration and develop business relationships to drive outcomes.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
- Department: Talent Operations
- Location: Plymouth, MI, Remote
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.