Functional Safety Lead, Self-Driving
Palo Alto, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Self-Driving /
This is what you'll do:
As Functional Safety Engineer for the Self-Driving team, you will be both lead and be an active participant in developing the functional safety concept, including all aspects of feature decomposition and analysis throughout the vehicle program lifecycle. In order to do this, you will work closely with the Vehicle System Engineering functional safety engineering team to ensure vehicle system level compliance and provide technical guidance in the form of consulting and independent peer reviews of the system with other cross-functional teams.
· Contribute to ADAS and Self-Driving feature requirements and provide functional safety guidance on feature definition
· Perform FTA analysis in relation to vehicle level safety goals as well as be an active participant in DFMEA activities
· Capture derived requirements within the Rivian requirements tool and maintain the traceability and quality
· Represent the Self-Driving functional safety team working alongside the engineering departments to provide technical consultation, guidance and approval as part of feature development activities
· Work with the vehicle and system architecture teams to derive functional safety requirements and technical requirements from derived safety goals
· Provide independent peer review and approval of functional safety activities including technical review and resolution with other cross-functional domains and suppliers in the establishment and agreement of DIAs
· Be a single point of contact for the Self-Driving team to ensure compliance throughout the functional safety program life-cycle
· Co-ordinate across vehicle system and other cross-functional engineering teams to achieve deliverables
This is what you'll need:
· Degree education in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical (or similar) Engineering
· Over 5 years of experience within the automotive industry, ideally OEM or Tier 1 working within functional safety in relation to ADAS features
· Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
· Experience working within a cross-functional team
· Proven knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience applying within an OEM or Tier 1
· Understanding of emerging standards such as ISO 21448 (Safety of the Intended Function) and UL 4600
· Ability to leverage common tools such as FTA and FMEA to articulate and formulate functional safety requirements
· Guide further decomposition into sub-system design and technical safety requirements for both hardware and software
· Good working knowledge of vehicle system functionality and electro/mechanical control strategy
· Ability to report to senior management and report accurate information in a clear and concise manner
We Are Rivian
Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.