Supplier Reliability Engineer - Polymers and Adhesives
Palo Alto, CA /
Reliability – Reliability /
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer, you will play a key role in designing Rivian’s products with reliability in mind.
This is what you'll do:
- Set and communicate Reliability requirements and targets and test plans for components, subsystems and assemblies.
- Analyze usage and environmental conditions in order to improve requirement setting and testing methods.
- Facilitate Design FMEA sessions in order to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test planning.
- Participate in design reviews and provide input on the reliability section of the design review.
- Develop reliability design guidelines and apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
- Devise accelerated test methods to explore design margins and grow reliability quickly.
- Partner with the simulation teams to assess problem areas before physical parts are available for testing.
- Specify reliability validation plans for externally supplied components and subsystems using a physics of failure approach.
- Provide guidance on sample size requirements and durations for reliability testing by utilizing reliability statistics.
- Facilitate failure analysis to understand root cause and drive resolution for failures originating in testing.
- Partner with supplier quality, GCM, and design engineering to identify and mitigate risk at each phase of the reliability program
- Research failure mechanisms of new technologies and applications. Create designed experiments (DOE) to explore alternative choices on materials, processes, designs.
- Influence supplier selection for higher reliability and provide clear guidance on reliability requirements and demonstration to suppliers.
- Develop Ongoing Reliability Testing, Burn-in Testing and Hass Testing strategies.
- Be the gatekeeper of reliability risk throughout product development and drive activities to successfully burn-down risk before SOP
- Partner with Field Reliability to assess supplier reliability performance
- Own root cause investigation and lead cross functional teams to eliminate supplier reliability issues
- Partner with Field Reliability and Failure Analysis to assure reliability lessons learned are incorporated into future products.
This is what you'll need:
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in Engineering.
- Preferably 3-5 years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications. In addition, a strong technical background and interest in reliability:
- Experience with Ongoing Reliability Testing, Highly Accelerated Stress Screening and governing equations for different types of failure mechanisms
- Experience with facilitating FMEAs and leading cross functional teams.
- High level understanding of reliability statistics including Weibull Analysis.
- High level understanding of physics of failure.
- Experience with deploying reliability testing guidelines and inventing new ways of testing.
- Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
- Working knowledge of statistical software for reliability, such as JMP or the ReliaSoft suite.
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS.
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
- Depending on the subsystem of focus, Knowledge of methods to design-in reliability for one of the following:
- Injection molded plastics
- Interior trim
- Ultrasonic welding
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.