Senior Counsel - Labor and Employment
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Legal /
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in Plymouth, Michigan, San Jose and Irvine, as well as a production facility in Normal, Illinois, where our manufacturing operations will be based. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
This is WHO you are:
You are self-motivated, confident, a leader, have great communication skills, creative and thrive in challenging and fast-paced environments.
This is what you’ll do:
· Counsel and represent Rivian on labor and employment law issues, including those under state and federal laws governing EEO, wage & hour, leave of absence, retaliation and whistleblower, and other labor and employment law matters
· Provide legal, strategic and business guidance to Rivian’s People Team (HR), including with respect to recruiting, voluntary and involuntary terminations, and investigations
· Evaluate and communicate legal risks associated with complaints, grievances, charges, employer practices, and other legal matters
· Defend and represent the Company in matters before federal and state agencies, including the California Labor & Workforce Development Agency (LWDA), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), NLRB, EEOC, OSHA and DOL
· Draft policies, handbooks, agreements and position statements, and implement controls throughout the organization with respect thereto
· Handle cross-disciplinary legal matters in collaboration with regulatory and business attorneys and other professionals and paraprofessionals
· Engage with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise and guidance when needed
· Prepare legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice
· Provide legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex legal issues that have a significant impact to the organization
· Counsel leaders and management on relevant changes in the law, including state and local laws and regulations that impact Rivian’s facilities and operations
· Handle multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and paraprofessionals
this is what you’ll need:
· Must have a J.D. from an ABA-approved law school and be an active member in good standing of California Bar
· At least five (5) years of California labor and employment experience
· In-house experience as an employment lawyer at a technology or automotive company, preferred
· Experience managing and completing complex projects
· Excellent knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations (including ADA, ADEA, FMLA, CFRA, FEHA, FLSA, IWC Wage Orders, etc.)
· Experience providing advice and counsel to management and Human Resource professionals on a broad range of employment issues, including recruiting; hiring; discipline and terminations; leaves of absence; wage and hour compliance; EEO compliance; restrictive covenants; and contingent worker issues
· Experience managing outside counsel on employment litigation matters
· Experience supporting HR and business executives regarding employee handbooks, policies and procedures, internal trainings, offer letters, termination agreements, bonuses, and other compensation matters
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills
· Strong client relations skills
· A commitment to teamwork, collaboration and professionalism
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, California
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.