Design Release Engineer - Differential and Driveline
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Propulsion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Lead Design of driveline components including differentials, shafts, and halfshafts from concept to production release
· Perform research, design and development of components and subsystems.
· Develop and mature concepts from concept to production validated using a design creation process
· Release differentials, shafts, and other driveline components for prototype and production using the Rivian product release process.
· Create and work with suppliers for specifications and requirements of the components.
· Lead and liaison with suppliers and manufacturing for component specifications and definition
· Responsible for maturity and quality components and/or subsystem 3D CAD and technical drawings.
· Provide technical support and system analysis for root cause analysis of development issues
· Provide professional reports and documentation of the component design for design reviews.
· Coordinate, lead and participate in design reviews of components and subsystems.
· Responsible to coordinate with analysis and validation teams to verify components and insure they are adequate for the application.
· Develop component DVPR and DFMEA and participate in system level DFMEA.
This is what you’ll need:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering with a minimum 2 years of relevant experience required. Degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
· Preferred experience in the following areas: Driveline, Transmission, or eAxle Fundamentals, how to interpret technical drawings, GD&T, Tolerance Stacks, system and component design of gears, bearings and housings.
· Knowledge of casting process for low- and high-pressure castings/housings.
· Knowledge of machining methods and processes for differential, shafts and driveline components.
· A basic understanding of gears and gear analysis especially related to bevel gears
· An understanding of differentials, Limited Slip Differentials and Disconnect devices.
· A general understanding on how to interpret and mature a product with results from FEA.
· The ability to work independently, and to lead, coach and mentor others
· CAD knowledge and working experience in 3D and drawing creation and modification (CATIA preferred)
· The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management
· An understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and how to apply it.
· An understanding of gearbox and driveline fundamentals
· Dynamic attitude with desire to learn and expand your knowledge and capability
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Powertrain Engineering
Location: Plymouth, MI, Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.