Battery Cell Engineer, Physics Modeling
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Develop new physics-based models/reduced order models to predict electrochemical and thermal performance of the lithium ion at particle/electrode/cells/pack scale.
· Develop physics-based models to support fast charge development.
· Develop models (semi-empirical and physic-based) to predict lifetime of lithium ion cells and packs.
· Work closely with cell engineers to extract parameters for the models.
· Design of experiment to validate/calibrate models at electrode/cell/pack levels; Determine the uncertainty of the model.
· Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
· Mentor junior cell modelers and cell engineers.
· Deliver documents/reports on modeling/testing data.
· Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
· Review academic literature on modeling development and other aspects of lithium ion cells in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
This is what you’ll need:
· At least 5 years of experience in physic-based modeling.
· In-depth understanding about electrochemistry and thermal of lithium ion cells.
· Strong understanding about degradation mechanism of lithium ion cells.
· Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
· Strong understand kinetic and thermodynamic, mass transport of lithium ion cells.
· Strong understanding about the relationship between pack design and its’ performance and lifetime.
· Familiar with potentiostat, cyclers and electrochemical characterization.
· Experience in COMSOL, Python, MATLAB/Simulink.
· Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
· Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
· Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team.
· Excellent communication skill.
· Candidates with experience in industry, especially in automotive field.
· Experience in module/pack modeling is a plus.
· Experience in cell/pack safety modeling is a plus.
· Experience in cell design modeling is a plus.
· Experience in SOC, SOH, SOP prediction is a plus.
· Experience in machine-learning is a plus.
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.