Associate Director of Homologation
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Legal /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Reporting up to the Vice President of Public Policy, this role leads the engineers and specialists that make up the Homologation team responsible for all global vehicle certification and homologation. These activities include:
Ensuring the tracking and communication to Engineering of all current and upcoming regulatory requirements in relevant target markets.
Coordinating with other Rivian employees and Legal in ensuring appropriate interpretations and application of regulations to all vehicle and vehicle related products.
Achieving all necessary regulatory and legal approvals to allow timely product launch including, but not limited to interacting with relevant regulatory bodies and Type Approval authorities, planning and executing test plans, ensuring all certification and homologation requirements are met, and ensuring all necessary documents and filings are made timely and properly.
Review and prepare for senior executives all necessary sign offs on self-certifications.
Maintaining approvals in good standing with all regulatory agencies as products evolve and improve.
In addition, as certification, homologation and regulatory activities increase, oversee and lead the operation, growth and development of the Homologation team
Hire and train (as necessary) a team of dynamic and motivated engineering experts and specialists to accomplish the goals set forth above.
Oversee budget and schedule for all Homologation planning, testing and approvals.
Track program changes and modify homologation plans accordingly, both before and during production.
Report status of certification progress to upper management.
Work with other cross-functional groups post-production to support assurance of product quality and integrity.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· A minimum of 10 to 15 years of experience in automotive engineering at a major OEM, including substantial and specific expertise in homologation/certification, ideally in electric vehicle programs.
· Direct experience in taking a vehicle program through full North America homologation/certification and at least some experience in European, Asian, Middle Eastern, or other non-U.S. type approval.
· A broad and deep understanding of global regulatory requirements and structures.
· A strong understanding of all regulated functional areas including crash avoidance, crash worthiness, environmental, and materials.
· Strong leadership skills and an ability to motivate others to achieve tangible results within a team of specialized engineers and experts.
· Deep curiosity to understand the product and how the regulations may be applied.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to build relationships with government authorities and test labs.
· The ability to work as part of a team, along with a diverse group of experts including other engineers, attorneys, financial analysts, and others in order to achieve Rivian mission goals
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Location: Irvine, California or Palo Alto, California
At Rivian, we’re striving to keep the world adventurous through reimagining of what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful all electric adventure and mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, Northern and Southern California, Canada and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.