Design for Reliability Engineer - HV Battery (Palo Alto, CA)
Palo Alto, CA /
Reliability – Reliability /
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. We are looking for engineers who have experience in bringing products from the early concept stages to production by working closely with design, validation and manufacturing teams on solving technical problems along the way to make the most robust products. If some of the first things that come to your mind when looking at a complex design is “what are the way this thing can fail and how can I make it better?” then, we are looking for you!
This is what you’ll do:
· As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer focusing on the High Voltage Battery, you will play a key role in designing reliability into the Rivian’s battery products from concept to production phases.
· You will get to work with a world-class team of design and validation engineers to come up with creative solutions to some of the most challenging engineering problems by thinking outside the box.
Be the resident reliability development expert to the battery teams.
· Set and communicate Reliability requirements and targets for components, subsystems, and assemblies.
· Analyze usage and environmental conditions in order to improve requirement setting and testing methods.
· Facilitate Design FMEA sessions in order to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test planning.
· Participate in design reviews and facilitate the reliability section of the design review.
· Develop reliability design guidelines and apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
· Devise accelerated test methods to explore design margins and grow reliability efficiently.
· Partner with the simulation teams to assess problem areas before physical parts are available for testing.
· Specify reliability validation plans for components and subsystems using a physics of failure approach.
· Provide guidance on sample size requirements and duration for reliability testing by utilizing reliability statistics.
· Facilitate failure analysis to understand root cause and drive resolution for failures originating in testing.
· Assess and clearly communicate risk at each phase of the reliability program.
· Research failure mechanisms of new technologies and applications. Create designed experiments (DOE) to explore alternative choices on materials, processes, and designs.
· Influence supplier selection for higher reliability and provide clear guidance on reliability requirements and demonstration to suppliers.
· Develop Ongoing Reliability Testing strategies.
· Be the gatekeeper of reliability risk throughout product development and drive activities to successfully burn-down risk before SOP.
· Partner with Field Reliability and Failure Analysis to assure reliability lessons learned are incorporated into future products.
This is what you’ll need:
· Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. Preferably one or more years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications. In addition, a strong technical background and interest in reliability:
· Experience with facilitating FMEAs and leading cross functional teams.
· Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
· Working knowledge of statistical software for reliability, such as JMP or the ReliaSoft suite.
· A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
Must have domain knowledge:
· Physics of failure knowledge on high-voltage battery failure mechanisms
· Solid electrical and mechanical engineering fundamentals
· Understanding of structural and thermal adhesive failure modes and degradation testing methods
· Expertise in battery module and pack level failure modes and accelerated life testing
· Experience with designing bespoke accelerated life tests for large battery packs and modules
· Expertise in lithium-ion cell degradation mechanisms
· Understanding of Highly Accelerated Testing methods and governing equations for different types of failure mechanisms
· Experience with deploying reliability testing guidelines and inventing new ways of testing
· Good understanding of reliability statistics including Weibull Analysis
· Expertise in accelerated-life-test development methods for battery modules
· Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and Palo Alto, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.