Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Harnessing & Vehicle Integration
Irvine, CA /
Electrical Hardware – Hardware Design /
We’re looking for highly capable harness design/electrical packaging (CAD based) engineers to join our growing team, working on a selection of really cool vehicles!
This role is a lot more than a typical large OEM harness job … you’ll ‘own’ a zone of the vehicle where you’ll be responsible for all harnessing, and lead the packaging of a large portfolio of electrical components, from concept, through start of production & beyond.
So if you think you’re a dynamic, proactive, inquisitive engineer, who wants to push the boundaries of what an automotive electrical system can be, please get in touch, right away!
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Own a ‘zone’ of a vehicle, where you’ll be responsible for the 3D design of wiring harnesses within CATIA V6.
· You’ll also help with the integration / packaging of a number of electrical components such as ECU’s, sensors, antenna’s, audio components etc. within your zone.
· Work closely with the harness design release engineer (DRE), who is responsible for 2D – harness drawing creating and collation of device transmittals (DT’s).
· Consider all aspects of component integration such as UI/UX, EMC, service, manufacturing build feasibility, thermal, durability, mounting, ensuring correct clearances, NVH, liquid ingress, component functionality etc.
· Create scheme models of brackets & injection moulded formers to support the harness routing, and retain electrical components.
· Interface regularly with multiple business functions such as other engineering departments (Body, Interior, Chassis, Package etc.), styling & studio, industrial design, HMI, UI/UX, product strategy, service, manufacturing, NVH etc.
· Ensure the wiring harnesses have full electrical connectivity to allow a KBL export.
· Represent the department design reviews.
· Design parts within tight timeframes, dictated by high level program planning.
· Participate in cost down / mass down workshops.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· 10+ years-experience of 3D wiring harness design in a CAD package such as CATIA V6, ideally within automotive, though other sectors will be considered.
· Possess a B.S. degree (or above), though other qualifications & experience will be considered.
· Be a proficient CAD designer, capable of using the electrical, surface and solid ‘work-benches’.
· Understand harness design ‘best practice’, such as acceptable bend rads, regular clipping points & required clearances.
· The ability to read ‘topology’ and circuit diagrams to a basic level.
· Ability to work under time pressure.
· Be a strong and effective communicator.
· Be able to work independently, under your own initiative.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Electrical Engineering
Location: Irvine, CA
We Are Rivian
Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
The Adventure Is Just Beginning
Doing something different is never easy. It requires courage, optimism and grit. Core to delivering on our vision is building a team of curious individuals, determined to make a positive impact on the world. This means challenging ourselves, stretching beyond the bounds of conventional thinking, reframing old problems, seeking new solutions and operating comfortably in a space of uncertainty.
Our team has a diverse set of backgrounds— but at heart, we are adventurers on a mission to move the world in a new direction. We’re currently looking for thinkers and doers with a strong sense of adventure to join us on this journey.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.