Technical Program Manager - Thermal System
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Propulsion /
The role will be responsible for the delivery of the R2 Thermal System, including Heat Pump system for Cabin conditioning & energy storage systems conditioning. This role works with component development engineers, test engineers, simulation engineers and suppliers to develop a Heat Pump system to become the benchmark of the automotive industry. The main role of Senior Systems Engineer is to define vehicle level Heat Pump system requirements, Heat Pump system controls software requirements, functional and performance targets, functional safety, resolve issues and optimize Heat Pump system for weight/cost while satisfying program milestones.
This is what you’ll do:
· Architect and Develop Heat pump thermal architecture for the program
· Interface with thermal team to integrate heat pump architecture to vehicle thermal architecture
· Interface with the Thermal Component Design Release Engineers (DREs) and thermal simulation team to develop a Heat Pump thermal architecture, concept and component selection
· Benchmark competitive thermal components, to define functional target and engineering specifications
· Create proof of concept demonstrations for integrated Heat Pump system
· Work closely with suppliers on design evaluation and validation of the Heat Pump system hardware to meet product specification and requirements
· Provide guidance and direction to suppliers through resourcing, process or sourcing changes, and development
· Coordinate and conduct hardware testing to verify and validate heat pump system hardware functionality and reliability
· Share and present work to cross-functional teams and executive leadership
· Responsible for meeting vehicle development milestones
· Responsible for the creation of vehicle-level heat pump requirements and functional safety and other technical design documents where analysis plays a central role
· Assist in the development of comprehensive design verification and validation of heat pump systems DVP&R activities, including writing test procedures, environmental testing fixtures and data acquisition systems
· Be the Program and Technical expert who supports all technical delivery, design reviews, concept definition and resolution of all Thermal System Engineering/Project concerns
· Ensure Project gateway deliverables are understood in detail and resources planned to deliver green deliverables
· Lead Production Releases – Co-ordinate and manage Design & Release Engineers to have production release plans in place and executed with no late releases & no late parts for the build phases.
· Ensure Engineering Documentation is coordinated & managed to project milestones – Risk assessment/management, Requirements, DFMEA, DVP, Functional Safety
· Vehicle Builds – Manage and co-ordinate all BOMs, part procurement for all pre-production build phases
· Establishing and managing piece, investment cost, and weight targets
· Ensure, ahead of release, that all designs meet Design For Manufacture (DFM) standards for both internal and external manufacturing supply options.
· Support program meetings - acting as the voice of the Thermal System functional team to the Vehicle program team and vice-versa and represent the team in all required program/senior level meetings.
· Ensure Thermal System functional timing plans deliver to the program timing plans.
this is what you’ll need:
· Advanced degree (MSME) in Mechanical Engineering with specialty in refrigerant cycle, heat transfer, thermodynamics & fluid mechanics preferred
· Full understanding of vehicle thermal management concepts, including flow architecture, heat rejection methods, and climate control functions
· Strong first principle background of heat transfer and thermo-fluids
· 5+ years of experience in automotive thermal systems development and thermal component design including at least one full product lifecycle from concept through production for HEV, PHEV or BEV
· Hands-on experience of thermal system components such as Compressor, Expansion valves, heater, cooling fans, sensors, pumps, valves, Liquid-to-Air and Liquid-to-liquid heat exchangers is a must
· Use of 1D software such as AMESim or equivalent 1D simulation software is highly beneficial
· The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management.
· The ability to work independently, and to coach and mentor others.
· Have demonstrated excellent leadership of major projects through their successful delivery from concept to production
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaboratively work with and influence cross-functional departments both internally and externally.
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.