Senior Battery Safety Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
- Develop System Level Functional Safety work products to support the Safety Case of the Rivian Battery System
- Write HV Battery Pack System safety requirements and test specifications
- Specify and conduct battery safety and abuse testing to support verification and validation of battery system.
- Collaborate with hardware, software, design, and validation engineers to ensure design meets safety requirements.
- Specify and develop software and hardware safety architecture to support the battery safety concept
- Contribute to the Technical Safety Concept of the Battery System through systematic analysis of malfunctions and design of safety mechanisms across hardware and software.
- Develop and contribute to Fault Tree Analysis, FMEDA analysis, FMEA and generation of software and hardware diagnostic requirements
- Contribute to the safety analysis of Rivian battery mechanical design
- Contribute to the leadership and evolution of Rivian safety engineering process
- Use your battery knowledge to assess and evaluate cell, module, and pack safety and develop detailed requirements
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years of work experience in the battery and/or automotive industries
- Previous experience in automotive product development or extreme safety environments
- Training in ISO26262 development process and analysis techniques
- At least a bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- Experience with hazards and strategy for building safe high voltage battery systems.
- Experience with regulatory certification of high voltage automotive battery systems.
- Previous experience validating Battery Management Systems, or automotive ECUs
- Experience with model-based design; creating control systems & models with Matlab/Simulink
- Excellent problem-solving skills; reliant on core engineering principals & common sense
- Strong communication, multitasking, & inter-personal skills, both in presentation & technical writing
- Versed in production development & testing timelines
- Experience with requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.) and issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc. )
- Previous experience with product launches and working to a schedule
- Ability and desire to share/communicate subject matter expertise and knowledge effectively with other employees, contractors and external customers
- Ability to write technical documents, draft patents and articles
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.