Manufacturing Engineer- Stamping
Plymouth, MI /
Manufacturing Engineering – Advanced Manufacturing /
This is what you’ll do:
· Evaluate potential part construction techniques to assess formability in advance of CAD creation
· Support vehicle development and design team to ensure part formability for all designed component
· Analyze CAD models to assess formability prior to tooling release
· Iterate on component design with design and release engineers based on formability analysis and design requirements
· Provide formability guidelines, best practices, and simple tools to aid engineering in material and process selection
· Create 3D CAD and 2D drawing files to represent press environment and design standards to support Rivian equipment and business strategy
· Provide subject matter expertise and support to tooling supplier
· Simulate or support analysis on the various methods of metal and composite forming including stamping feasibility on various grades of steel and aluminum, extrusion and casting feasibility on aluminum components, ability to roll for designs in steel, and ability to injection mold component from various composites
· Take ownership of die design, buyoff and line tryouts
· Support cost reductions as a champion of good, fundamental design across the vehicle
This is what you’ll need:
· Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
· Experience and understanding of sheet metal processes, as well as tooling design and construction
· Understanding and first hand knowledge of part tolerancing, and what various metal forming and finishing processes are capable of
· Ability to troubleshoot forming and dimensional issues in the tooling process
· Understanding of various methods of material formability and knowledge of evaluating component formability
· Experience with forming simulation software (Autoform, LS Dyna, or equivalent)
· Understanding of metal forming, stamping die processing, material processing for forming
· An interest in advanced forming technologies and advancements in materials – specifically an interest in metal processing
· Strong skills with common workplace software (word processor, spreadsheet, database, etc).
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Manufacturing Development
Location: Plymouth, MI
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.