Sr. Electromagnetic Design Engineer, EPC
Carson, CA /
Propulsion – Electric Power Conversion /
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead in-house electromagnetic design of e-machines to support Rivian product development plan
- Determine e-machine electrical and mechanical specifications in support of Rivian product road map
- Responsible for electromagnetic analysis, modeling and design of electric machines for Rivian products
- Develop, verify, and optimize modeling tools and design process to predict and optimize electric machine performance
- Develop test plans and work with motor control and/or testing team to validate machine electromagnetic and thermal performance
- Support structural and mechanical analysis of motor systems including NVH and durability
- Support and/or perform thermal analysis to predict thermal characteristic of electric machine
- Work with mechanical engineers and/or designers to create motor 3D models and 2D drawings and release to manufacturing
- Support powertrain system integration and vehicle control integration
- Support motor manufacturing development including material selection and process evaluation
- Study, invent, and implement new electric machine technology
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- PhD in Electrical Engineering with emphasis in electromagnetic design of e-machines with at least 5 years of experience
- Experience in the design and analysis of high torque & power density IPM/PM and induction electric machines
- Expert level skills with electromagnetic analysis tools such as JMAG, COMSOL, ANSYS/Maxwell
- Experience using MATLAB/Simulink for data analysis
- Strong understanding of validating motor electromagnetic and thermal designs including performance and durability
- Good understanding of e-machine build process, both in prototype stage and high volume manufacturing
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks while remaining efficient and accurate
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast paced and dynamic work environment
THIS IS WHERE YOU'LL WORK:
Department: Electric Power Conversion
Location: Carson, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.