Senior Battery Materials Engineer, Polymers
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Responsible for qualifying, testing, developing, implementation and consultation involving polymers
· Responsible to be subject matter expert for polymers internal to ESS Advanced engineering team
· Lead design engineers in material selection, validation and process development of polymers.
· Lead development of new materials to support higher temperature, higher isolation in thinner materials and higher thermal conductivity requirements of current and future designs.
· Manage existing material standards and be responsible to write new standards for polymers.
· Lead material validation for new materials
· Advise manufacturing with respect to manufacturing issues and process or material changes
· Work with external suppliers and Rivian’s global supply management team to identify, develop, validate and source these materials
· Work with new and existing suppliers and Rivian manufacturing teams to develop new polymers for new applications
· Support all ESS related polymers activities.
· Develop timing and delivery plans for polymers to support Battery System timing and delivery.
· Write materials specifications, test procedures and SOW’s
· Write and manage polymer functional requirements.
· Manage PLM polymer attribute data in Enovia, including meeting cost & mass targets.
· Manage and conduct design reviews as necessary
· Work with ESS CAE team to define and submit simulation requests as needed for design validation and correlation with test.
· Participate and be responsible for material specific DFMEAs.
· Support prototype builds to execute development testing and support development vehicle program.
· Support Rivian Validation and Design Team in pre- and post-test analyses
· Support component interface analysis and testing
· Support ongoing product development efforts for cost reduction, design improvements, failure root cause analyses, warranty claim analyses
This is what you’ll need:
· PHD Polymers or Materials Engineering degree
· 10 years’ experience working with polymers
· Fundamental knowledge of polymers and polymer chemistry as they relate to adhesives
· Strong Fundamental knowledge of polymers and polymer chemistry
· Extensive knowledge of injection molding
· Knowledge of creepage and clearance requirements
· Extensive experience with standard analytical tools
· Laboratory testing experience conducting standard mechanical property testing.
· Experience with materials laboratory failure
· CATIA V6 (3Dx) and Enovia proficiency
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.