Director of Platform Firmware Engineering
Palo Alto, CA /
IT and Technology – Connected Car /
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, San Jose, Irvine, and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process
This is what you’ll do:
· Define and drive a common Embedded Firmware Platform for all Rivian embedded systems, delivering the platform across multiple programs/projects for different vehicles in the Rivian portfolio
· Build a scalable, modular architecture for a robust and safe embedded platform
· Drive planning meetings, provide regular executive summaries and communicate effectively the decisions, dates and content
· Promote coding standards, practices and processes throughout the organization
· This position demands strong technical competence in FreeRTOS/SafeRTOS, board bring-up, low-level firmware development, embedded software integration, test and validation, device- driver development, electronics circuits
This is what you’ll need:
· 10+ years work experience in embedded platform and/or device-driver development
· Strong knowledge with C/C++ programming.
· core expertise in toolchains, bootloaders, real-time operating systems, device drivers and communications middleware
· Support cross-functional development teams through the introduction and deployment of tools to facilitate code quality and functional correctness and software development lifecycle processes
· Solid understanding of embedded OS/RTOS, low-level driver development, Automotive standards, Functional Safety
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This is where you’ll work:
Department: IT and Technology - Connected Car
Location: SJ/Palo Alto
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.