Lab Manager (Powertrain)
Plymouth, MI /
Propulsion – Powertrain /
This is what you’ll do:
- Manage daily operation and flow of testing activities within an electrified powertrain test lab
- Maintain test readiness of all dynos and rigs, including instrumentation calibration, facility readiness, and equipment availability
- Track the progress of the testing required to support programs
- Write test reports and summaries to deliver to the engineering team
- Support team on e-drive unit testing, including scripts for test equipment
- Perform end of line testing of e-drive units to ensure proper performance before end use
- Develop test plans and work with engineering to develop test cases and procedures
- Develop test fixtures and identify equipment needed to test
- Create new tests or fixtures to support engineering needs on validation
- Conduct RFQs with purchasing for outside testing and coordinate the product to and from the lab, obtain the test information, and answer questions for the testing to be conducted
- Develop the ability to help troubleshoot the failure modes of the packs based on test failures, and field failures
- Install and Follow all safety guidelines to ensure team operates in a safe manner
This is what you’ll need:
- 10+ years Technician Experience working directly in test cells and/or large dynamometer systems
- 2+ years Electric Vehicle experience
- High voltage system and component safety training
- Understanding of motor, inverter, and gearbox concepts
- Understanding of propulsion system and thermal (coolant and refrigerant) systems
- Understanding of Electric Vehicle safety
- Expertise in instrumentation (Thermocouples, RTDs, Strain Gauges, Accelerometers, Hygrometers, Pressure Gauges, Flow Meters)
- Expertise environmental test set up and test error proofing
- Expertise in mechanical tooling and integrations
- Ability to work under strenuous / awkward positions throughout the working day.
- Ability to understand and operate a variety of scan tools / diagnostic equipment
- Ability to operate common automotive test equipment
- Ability to use various automotive repair software and programs
- Ability to work well and communicate with fellow technicians
- Driven and self-motivated
- Minor fabrication experience
This is where you'll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.