Senior Homologation Engineer - NAFTA
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Regulatory /
This is what you’ll do:
Take primary responsibility for all testing and documentation requirements necessary to enable certification of trucks and multipurpose passenger vehicles for North American markets:
- Assist design and engineering teams with interpreting regulatory requirements, including seeking out interpretations as needed
- Determine applicable test configurations, develop detailed test plans and assist in scheduling certification tests for each subject applicable regulation.
- Develop and populate compliance reports for all FMVSS and CMVSS subjects, including collation of all necessary test reports, drawings, and judgments.
- Interface with applicable regulatory bodies (NHTSA, Transport Canada, etc) as needed.
- Support TREAD specialist in analyzing field data with respect to regulatory requirements.
- Track and report certification status.
- Monitor product changes and update compliance reports as needed.
Along with the Homologation and Safety teams, ensure Rivian products are designed to meet global active and passive safety regulatory and consumer ratings targets:
- Monitor the status of applicable global regulations (e.g. FMVSS, ECE, GB) and consumer ratings protocols (e.g. US and Euro NCAP, IIHS, RCAR) as they are updated.
- Communicate current and upcoming regulatory requirements to the engineering team, through formal and informal design reviews, and in our requirements management tool.
- Assist in scheduling and overseeing all regulatory testing for global markets.
This is what you’ll need:
· 3-5 years’ experience in homologation at an OEM, preferably on an electric vehicle or large commercial vehicle program.
· A robust understanding of the entire US and Canadian certification process.
· A strong understanding of U.S. state and federal regulations including active and/or passive safety and environmental regulations applicable to electric vehicles.
· Deep curiosity to understand the product, how the regulations may be applied and to find creative solutions.
· Understanding of regulatory requirements non-NAFTA markets preferred.
· Familiarity with FMCSA regulations preferred.
· Experience with a formal requirements management tool (jama, DOORS, etc.) and systems engineering principles preferred.
· Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships across the Rivian organization as well as with government authorities and test labs.
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, San Jose, Irvine, and the UK, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.