Senior Engineering Manager - Cloud
Palo Alto, CA /
Software Engineering – Software Development /
Rivian’s Cloud team is at the center of Rivian’s ‘data universe’, as well as at the center of all customer-facing business processes. Rivian’s Cloud model is the most progressive in the industry, collecting and processing petabytes of data from our customer fleet. In this role, you will function as the technical leader overseeing the building of Rivian’s Cloud Gateway and Query Manager. Cloud Gateway is a massively scalable service that will ingest telemetry, configurations and binary data from all the vehicles and chargers while Query Manager is a low latency service that offer purpose-built APIs to interact with the vehicle and charger telemetry in both request/response and streaming fashion.
This is what you’ll do:
· Lead a team of high performing engineers to help design and build cloud-based distributed systems that are highly available, resilient to connection/data spikes and keeping the cost-to-serve in mind.
· Ensure security is thought through from get-go.
· Build SDKs/modules and tools to simplify the onboarding for the service consumers.
· Train and develop the abilities of less experienced team members and help build a culture of responsibility and ownership.
· Work collaboratively with various stake holders to provide team-based solutions, creating a culture of inclusion and diversity of skillsets.
· Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation and help define and implement on-call practices and procedures.
this is what you’ll need:
· Excellent teamwork and communication skills
· 10+ years developing code in python/java/go/c++
· 3+ years of experience managing a team of engineers, providing feedback reviews, career guidance, and leading technical direction for the team
· Being responsible for and own the uptime and reliability of applications
· 3+ years of experience working on cloud-based infrastructure such as AWS, GCP, Azure, or internal data center solutions based on VSphere, Openstack etc.
· Experience working in the IoT space a plus
· Knowledge of network architectures, security, and troubleshooting of connectivity or latency issues.
· Experience with K8S/EKS and Container or Serverless Lambda Architectures a plus
· Experience with highly scalable streaming platforms like Apache Kafka or AWS Kinesis.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering; Master’s degree or PhD a plus.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Rivian Cloud
Location: Palo Alto
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.