Automation Robotics Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Manufacturing Engineering – Manufacturing Engineering /
This is what you’ll do:
· Redefine what automation solutions in the manufacturing industries can be while automating the process of designing, developing, and deploying new production lines.
· Develop 6-axis industrial robot standards and specifications for both internal and external consumption
o Including controller cabinet hardware selection, configuration, offline programming, installation, communication, and I/O map
· Develop robotic programming standards for style and function accounting for interlocking with PLCs, zoning with adjacent robots, maintenance routines, and clear alarming
o Design with intent to auto-generate robot code
o Design with clear and consistent structure for automated review and approval
· Work with robot and device suppliers to develop standard application packages for use with common end of arm tool devices
o Welding, riveting, dispensing, material handling, vision inspection, nut running, etc.
· Work with safety team to develop clear specifications for robot safety including documentation for how to design and validate it
· Use a robotic development cell to validate all robotic standards/specifications and research new methods/software/tools that will improve:
o Speed of development
o Speed of commissioning
o Diagnostics and ease of recovery
· Work with vendors through concept design, final review, virtual commissioning, buyoff, and installation.
this is what you’ll need:
· Experience developing programs & macros for common industrial robot brands such as Fanuc, ABB, Kawasaki, and Kuka
· Experience developing standard I/O maps and communication interfaces for industrial robots
· Experience commissioning industrial robots in a large manufacturing installation such as a body shop
· Experience with offline programming and simulation using tools such as RoboGuide, RobotStudio, Siemens Process Simulate, and 3DExperience
· Experience specifying robotic hardware setup and software options for a wide variety of automation solutions
· Understanding of PLC programming and interactions with the robot controller
· BS/MS Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.