Field Reliability Engineer - Irvine
Irvine, CA /
Reliability – Reliability /
This is what you’ll do:
· Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Field Reliability Engineer, you will be applying reliability engineering concepts to continuously improve reliability for Rivian products.
· Utilize reliability statistics to identify reliability trends in the field and provide a clear snapshot of risk.
· Drive focus and priorities for cross functional teams that work on resolving field reliability issues. Align teams on a set of KPIs to measure field Reliability performance and define incremental goals for continuous improvement.
· Create reliability forecasts to provide visibility to design, finance, service, manufacturing, remanufacturing, purchasing, quality, and supply chain allowing early insight on field issues and a coordinated technical and business strategy for deployment of containment and countermeasures.
· Create statistical analysis of reliability data by identifying the most appropriate life metric to create meaningful reliability analyses, ranging from simple time or miles analysis to big data physics of failure driven approaches. Utilize big data for reliability, using the new possibilities that a connected car and a direct servicing strategy allow.
· Facilitate root cause investigations for reliability issues, with major focus on a data driven approach and a robust problem solving methodology that addresses true root cause.
· Analyze usage, stress and environmental conditions from the field and feed meaningful field reliability information back to the product development organization, in order to continuously improve and refine product requirements and testing methods.
· Create Fault Trees and reliability block diagrams to assess system reliability from subsystem reliability performance data. Utilize competing failure modes models for accurate reliability forecasting.
· Provide reliability design and process guidelines based on field findings and maintain a knowledge base of reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
· Facilitate Design FMEA sessions in cases where reliability improvement for an existing product is required.
· Set up Designed Experiments (DOE) to support field issue replication and countermeasure efforts.
· Invent new ways of improving the reliability experience for our products, developing a deep understanding of our customers' journeys with our products.
This is what you’ll need:
· A deep understanding of reliability concepts, and a proven expertise in applying Weibull analysis to drive priorities in reliability.
· Knowledge of Fault Trees and reliability block diagram theory for system reliability modeling.
· Knowledge of database structures and practical understanding and use of SQL. Experience in working with large data sets.
· Knowledge of reliability warranty analysis and reliability prediction methods, including parametric and non-parametric methods.
· Understanding of fleet reliability monitoring metrics and reliability KPIs.
· Working knowledge of applied statistics and experience with statistical software such as JMP and ReliaSoft’s Synthesis platform.
· Knowledge of reliability growth techniques, such as Duane, Crow-AMSAA and Crow Extended.
· Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS.
· Basic understanding of physics of failure modeling for reliability analysis.
· Good understanding of Designed Experiments theory and application.
· Experience with facilitating FMEAs.
· Experience creating effective problem resolution methods and leading cross functional teams.
· Basic knowledge of Python with Pandas and experience in creating reliability data visualizations in Python is a plus.
· An understanding and implementation of Nevada charts as a means to assess reliability performance in multiple dimensions (manufacturing, service dates, environment etc)
· Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in Engineering. Preferably one or more years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Master's or PhD degree in Reliability Engineering or related discipline desired. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications.
· ASQ Certified Reliability Engineer is a plus.
· A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture.
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and Palo Alto, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.