Staff Failure Analysis Engineer - Polymer
Irvine, CA /
Reliability – Reliability /
This is what you’ll do:
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Polymer FA Engineer in the Failure Analysis team, you will play a key role in generating insight through conducting failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
The Polymer FA Engineer will serve as the subject matter expert for the FA lab in the field of polymers and adhesives identification, characterization, and their failure analysis.
- Perform deep dive failure analysis investigations, specializing in polymeric and adhesive failures from any and all systems, modules, and components within our vehicles.
- Own the polymer characterization suite in the lab, and be the lead instrument scientist for the FTIR, DSC, TGA, and DMA.
- Collaborate and develop strong partnerships with engineering teams (e.g. materials development, battery cell engineering, and ESS advanced engineering, etc.) to help define their needs for polymer and adhesives specific failure analysis, where they may need help in development of manufacturing processes, etc. Maintain a constant dialogue on the existing and growing capabilities of polymer characterization suite.
- Lead failure analysis activities for incidents originating from reliability testing for new product development and from fielded systems. Assure that root cause is identified at the most detailed level.
- Lead the creation of failure analysis reports with exceptional visualizations and direct the communication and presentation of findings to project teams.
- Work with reliability engineering and testing to recreate failure modes that are intermittent or hard to replicate. Utilize environmental testing equipment, HALT and other methods to be able to precipitate failures as a precursor to in depth failure analysis. Use results to field and the best path in terms of addressing the finding with the design teams
- Lead executive reviews related to failure analysis results.
This is what you'll need:
- PhD in Materials Science/Engineering, Polymer Science, Chemistry, or Physics.
- 6+ years of hands on laboratory and materials characterization experience in the field of polymer and adhesives failure analysis.
- Hands on experience with polymer characterization techniques such as FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA is required.
- Experience with Raman, GC-MS, GPC, NMR, XRD, is a plus.
- A working knowledge of other common failure analysis laboratory equipment and techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, EDS, CT-Scanning, 2D X-ray, is a plus.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of polymers and polymer chemistry, and an in-depth knowledge of polymer characterization and failure modes.
- Experience leading a variety of failure analysis projects, both at a system and a component level; be able to define the root cause of the failure and drive the corrective actions necessary to mitigate the risk of future failures.
- Experience effectively presenting and communicating highly complex technical information in a manner appropriate to a variety of audiences, from the fellow scientist to the executive level.
- Battery FA experience is highly desirable.
- Experience with managing and maintaining laboratory equipment is highly desirable.
- Experience in the automotive industry is a big plus.
- Experience managing junior engineers and technicians is a plus.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must!
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and Palo Alto, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.