Sr. Diagnostics Engineer - High Voltage Systems
Palo Alto, CA /
Service Operations – Service /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
● Support Service Organization with in depth diagnosis of vehicle High Voltage architecture and systems
● Function as a system level expert for all high voltage systems on all Rivian products
● Provide technical feedback to Engineering Design, Reliability and Quality team’s in order to improve fielded or future vehicles
● Be responsible for the practical application of live on-board and on-line diagnostics functions of the vehicle’s HV platform
● Be responsible for fleet level off-line scrubs of logged data to illuminate trends and patterns that are descriptive of unique failure modes
● Be responsible for enabling quick and effective repairs of the vehicle’s HV systems to enhance the customer experience while obtaining root cause analysis data for feedback to the vehicle engineering teams
● Integrate a software-engine driven diagnostics system being developed by the firmware and software teams with practical hands on, hardware driven diagnostics (ie: meter readings, pressure signals, live CAN based data and UDS reports) to develop a simple to use diagnostic tool that vehicle technicians can use to enhance any repair process while simultaneously generating failure mode data for engineering DFMEA and PFMEA knowledge bases
● Develop service strategy for HV system diagnosis including: generation of DTCs, alerts, warnings, customer facing warning text, system self-checks, system tests, calibration and firmware update strategies
● Support the diagnostics design engineering team with the development, testing, validation, and maintenance of the vehicle diagnostics system and tools related to HV architecture or HV battery diagnosis
● Develop routine service intervals for the HV battery and systems for future vehicle platforms
● Proactively monitor fleet HV battery health and capacity retention, taking action to initiate individual vehicle repairs or improve fleet monitoring systems
● Consult with internal and external customers on vehicle diagnostics related issues
● Train, coach and develop employees to exceed our customer’s expectations as you develop a culture of serviceability within Engineering & Design
● Identify, define, promote emerging product and service issues to appropriate channels and into a closed loop system for problem resolution
● Develop diagnostic and service procedures for technicians to successfully repair HV systems in Rivian vehicles
● Develop and author documentation covering theory of operation, specification and intended operation of HV systems for each Rivian vehicle platform
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· 10+ years of experience in automotive, with emphasis in engineering and vehicle diagnostics
· BS or MS preferred in related engineering discipline
· Experience in automotive diagnostics development
· Proven success in driving service requirements in a complex environment
· Experience managing a global organization and manage multiple projects across varying geographic locations simultaneously
· Specific knowledge of engineering discipline (e.g. mechanics, physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, control systems) within job-related area
· Broad experience defining, launching, and driving strategic process design initiatives to establish and improve internal and external processes and operations
· Track record of working closely with cross-functional teams and stakeholders in a technology environment
· Process design experience, with proven ability to understand, document, and transform complex processes
· Strong analytical and structured problem-solving capabilities with high level analytical ability where opportunities for improvement are unusual and complex
· Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with internal and external partners
· Experience in a startup environment and scaling teams from a blank slate is a plus.
· Ability to travel as needed
· Strong written and communications skills
· Extremely detail oriented
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Service Operations
Location: Palo Alto, CA
We Are Rivian
· Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
· We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
· Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
The Adventure Is Just Beginning
· Doing something different is never easy. It requires courage, optimism and grit. Core to delivering on our vision is building a team of curious individuals, determined to make a positive impact on the world. This means challenging ourselves, stretching beyond the bounds of conventional thinking, reframing old problems, seeking new solutions and operating comfortably in a space of uncertainty.
· Our team has a diverse set of backgrounds— but at heart, we are adventurers on a mission to move the world in a new direction. We’re currently looking for thinkers and doers with a strong sense of adventure to join us on this journey.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.