Senior Cell Design Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Lead cell design activities for new products that meet Rivian’ requirement on performance, lifetime, safety and cost.
· Evaluating and selecting materials and formulation including active materials (cathode, anodes, electrolyte and additive) and non-active materials (separator, foils, binders, conductive additive..).
· Optimize cell chemistry and electrode design to have balance of high energy density, cycle life and power capability, tailoring to different applications.
· Develop a design of experiment to validate new cells. Evaluate cell testing data to further optimize material and cell design.
· Work with mechanical engineer to improve cell design in order to increase cell energy and improved safety.
· Develop and optimize electrode and cell pilot processes. Design for manufacturability.
· Develop DFMEA and execute failure analyses.
· Define cell development road-map.
· Prepare report and effectively communicate the result with internal and external teams.
· Train junior cell engineers and technicians.
This is what you’ll need:
· PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science with more than 5 years working on lithium ion batteries in academia and 3 years in industry. Must be a Senior or Principal experience level.
· Strong experience in cell design.
· Strong understanding about the relationship between cell design and cycle life, calendar life, energy density and power/charging capability and safety.
· Strong understanding about the electrochemistry/ chemistry of active material chemistry (cathode, anodes, electrolyte and additive) and non-active materials (separator, foils, binders, conductive additive..). Understand their interaction inside the cells.
· Have good knowledge about different material suppliers.
· Familiar with cell manufacturing process. Understand tolerance stack-up
· Understand statistical analysis to drive cell design.
· Understand design for manufacturability.
· Strong understanding about different cell formats, their pros and cons.
· Experience in electrochemical techniques such as charge-discharge cycling, HPPC, DCIR measurement, CV. Familiar with EIS, GITT, LSV, PITT…
· Experience in XRD, SEM, ICP-MS, Raman..
· Hands on building testing cells from raw materials to coin cell, pouch cell...
· Experience in working with glovebox and dry room, handling air-sensitive materials.
· Can work independently with minimum supervision. Work well in a team.
· Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
· Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
· Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
· Good communication and time management skills.
· Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.