Senior Systems Engineer, ESS
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
- Develop the HV battery specification for a vehicle program
· Execute the requirements elicitation and systems engineering process. Organize and architect the product specification of the battery system.
· Drive consistency in requirements specification and organization by training engineers and leading design specification reviews.
· Conduct engineering systems design process to analyze vehicle, powertrain, and end-user specifications to derive sub-system requirements and develop requirements specifications & requirements verification traceability
· Develop detailed requirements for functional safety specific features and functions to comply with necessary automotive standards such as ISO-26262 & SAE specifications
· Communicate with engineers to update/modify documentation to maintain accurate representation of deliverables; Use tracking tools such as Confluence and JIRA to capture changes
- Coordinate & work with engineers across multiple disciplines to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks:
· Must be able to adapt and work within dynamic development timelines, with accelerated hardware production timelines, and software release cadence
· Contribute to specification of design through electrical and mechanical design engineering process.
· Contribute to specification of design though software and controls engineering process
· Experience with either development or testing using MATLAB/Simulink and C-programming is a plus
· Experience with analysis of thermal and electrical interdependence in battery pack design; Capable of 1-D modeling analysis for the system all the way down to single components
· Previous experience with DFMEA and leading the design review processes
- Get involved with hands-on development:
· Quickly transition to a variety of engineering discipline work, from high-level cross sub-system projects to specific component focus, depending on need of the team and stage of development/ production
· Display a positive attitude and motivation to perform whatever tasks necessary to get the job done
· Collaborate with technicians & mechanics to determine solutions to observed issues
· Show a healthy respect for high voltage safety and the appropriate safety processes
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years of work experience in the battery and/or automotive powertrain industries
- 10+ years of work experience in systems engineering and formal systems requirements engineering
- At least a bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrated leadership of Systems Engineering process concepts.
- Previous experience electric vehicle systems specification, bonus for high-voltage battery systems experience
- Strong understanding of electric vehicle powertrain system and first principles of electric vehicle operation.
- Ability to guide and lead Design Engineers and SW Engineers in requirements elicitation
- Previous experience in automotive product development environments
- Previous experience decomposing, organizing, and cascading requirements to vehicle systems
- Strong communication, multitasking, and interpersonal skills, both in presentation and technical writing
- Versed in software development, hardware testing, and production procurement timelines
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.)
- Issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc.)
- Previous experience with design according to ISO 26262 with focus on functional safety
- Previous experience with product launches and production schedules
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.