Senior Functional Safety Engineer - Irvine
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Vehicle Systems /
This is what you'll do:
As Senior Functional Safety Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the functional safety activities for one of Rivian’s vehicle programs. This will require leading the technical analysis to develop safety goals and requirements for the program while managing and overseeing the functional safety technical work across several different core engineering teams to ensure correct implementation of architecture, hardware and software components to satisfy the safety requirements for a program. In addition, you will be responsible for all the safety work products being completed for a vehicle program and are aligned to the overall program timeline and expectations.
Core responsibilities for this position are:
· Working with systems engineering to understand the expected features and functions specific to a vehicle program
· Deriving a detailed Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) for a vehicle platform
· Deriving detailed Functional Safety Requirements (FSR’s) for the vehicle platform
· Engaging with core engineering functional safety engineers in driving technical content for the Technical Safety Requirements (TSR’s), hardware requirements, software requirements and deriving ASIL metrics
· Understanding high level safety implementation at a vehicle level but be able to transition to low level architecture and how safety requirements are applied to low level hardware and software
· Overseeing integration validation and testing activities between component hardware and software
· Leading Integration validation and testing at the vehicle level for functional safety requirements
· Maintaining a single source Safety Plan tracking the overall safety work at vehicle, system and component level
In addition to the core responsibilities, other duties will include:
· Support defining Rivian’s Safety portfolio by implementing a sustainable functional safety process
· Identify and adopt non-automotive safety standards supporting Rivian’s safety portfolio
· Develop a comprehensive subset of practices/analyzes methodologies to be integrated into Rivian’s safety portfolio
· Clearly define the role of the external supplier across Rivian’s vehicle programs.
· Deliver clear and concise technical updates on external supplier progress across Rivian’s vehicle programs.
· Guide core engineering teams in external supplier selection based on feature requirement and safety rating.
This is what you’ll need:
In order to execute the role, you will be expected to have
· Degree education in Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical (or similar)
· At least 5 years of experience within the automotive industry (or equivalent), ideally OEM or Tier 1 working within functional safety
· Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
· Experience working within a cross-functional team leading indirect reports
· Proven knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience applying within an OEM or Tier 1
· Good working knowledge of vehicle system functionality and electro/mechanical control strategy
· Ability to report to senior management and report accurate information in a clear and concise manner
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.