Closures Mechanisms Design Release Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Body /
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead collaborative development of Closure's components and systems including interface with body engineering, studio design and quality, attributes, and customer experience teams
- Responsible for component release for Closure's components and systems throughout program lifecycle, including: concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support
- Manage cost and weight for Closure's components and systems from initial engineering estimates, through supplier quotes. Ensuring accurate forecasting and implementation plans at all times.
- Developing and managing your part system, subsystem, and component information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
- Be a champion of 1st principles design methodology in the body system and across the vehicle
- Engage in debate and discussions during all body design reviews as a stakeholder and representative of Closures department
- Mentor other less experienced engineers
This is what you’ll need:
- Understanding of product requirements and Closures features to deliver world class customer experience in mechanisms – Handles, Latches, Actuators, Regulators, Other moving closures.
- A strong understanding of the 1st principle physics of a closures system – the loads, forces, and overall function of the system, and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems
- CAD design experience for closures systems, mechanisms, structure, or related vehicle components. Catia v6 experience preferred but not required
- Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Ability to deliver under pressure and manage component design and development within cost, weight, and timing constraints.
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming and working on components that are not part of your scope to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
- Familiarity with typical manufacturing materials and processes utilized in closures design – steel, aluminum, composite, stamping, injection molding, bolting, and welding for example - and associated design requirements associated with these materials and processes
- A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement. Familiarity with DFMEAs, DVPs and Functional Safety requirements
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Body - Closures
Location: Irvine, CA
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in the Detroit area, San Jose, and Irvine, as well as a production facility in Normal, Illinois, where our manufacturing operations will be based and an Engineering office in the UK. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.