Sr. Component Engineer
Carson, CA /
Propulsion – Electric Power Conversion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Join a highly capable team to design industry leading power electronic conversion units for Rivian’s electric vehicles
· The Sr. Component Engineer will be responsible for bringing circuit board level components into the group’s master BOM database
· Interact with Power Electronics Engineers, mechanical, quality, system, ECAD, buyers, in-house manufacturing, component suppliers, distributers, and contract manufacturers
· Work with Power Electronics Engineers to select components based on performance, reliability, availability, cost, environmental and manufacturing requirements
· Review and approve component specifications from suppliers
· Participate in root cause analysis at the Printed Wiring Board (PWB) level with Quality Engineers
· Create and manage JIRA tickets for PWB component related issues
· Interact with buyers and Engineers to find alternate parts
· Work in lab to investigate component failures. Interact with Rivian quality teams.
This is what you’ll need:
· Minimum BS Degree in Engineering
· 10+ years’ experience in Electric Vehicle automotive circuit board Component Engineering
· Experience with high power electronics (motor drive inverters, DCDC converters, chargers) a plus
· Thorough functional understanding of all component types including passives (resistors, capacitors, magnetics), actives (transistors, diodes), and integrated circuits
· 5+ years’ experience in PWB assembly manufacturing with deep understanding of solder processes
· Intensive knowledge of PWB fabrication and failure modes
· Experience using Silicon Expert
· Comprehensive knowledge of conformal coat, staking and bonding processes used on PWB assemblies
· Detailed understanding of AEC-Q, RoHS and IPC requirements
· Enjoy collaborating with many different team members
· Ability to thrive in a tight deadline driven development environment
· Experience using microscope, milli-Ohm meter, LCR meter, x-ray, die penetrant, C-SAM, curve tracing a plus
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Electric Power Conversion
Location: Carson, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.