Crash Structures Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Attributes and Performance /
This is what you’ll do:
- Develop vehicle design in support of all crashworthiness regulations for North America and international markets
- Apply engineering fundamentals and hand calculations to interactively guide vehicle design and provide feedback as CAD data is being developed
- Use LS-Dyna to analyze CAD data from the engineering team and perform vehicle, system, and component crash analysis including, but not limited to FMVSS, IIHS, NCAP and other international regulation and rating tests
- Summarize simulation results in a complete and easy to understand format for sharing with the development team
- Utilize scripting, programming, and software vendor support to automate the model build and analysis for quick turnaround of results
- Support all physical test through instrumentation and running of test into processing and interpreting results
- Collaborate with program management, systems engineering, manufacturing, studio, and other development teams
This is what you’ll need:
- BS in Mechanical or Biomechanical Engineering required, MS preferred
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- A strong understanding of the first-principle physics of automotive body structures and energy management in a crash.
- Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best
- Understanding of Automotive body structures, material properties, joining methodologies, and the ability to model and analyze these using LS-Dyna
- An understanding of the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming and working on components that are not part of body structure as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
- A system approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.