Special Projects Mechanical Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Engineering and Programs – Special Projects /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Design components and systems for Special Project vehicles including show cars, marketing vehicles and other non-production builds
· Engineer components that pull ahead production design to support early build timelines while demonstration production concepts
· Design structures, parts, brackets and other components as required using Catia
· Lead integration of production, prototype and various off-the-shelf components to support all Special Project vehicle builds
· Support these vehicle builds from design through release, fabrication, assembly and in field usage
· Manage suppliers - which may be production sourced or may be unique based on program timelines and needs
· Determine when and whereto select OTS content to replace production intent parts based on timeline, maturity and vehicle function
· Be the technical support for these vehicles a various external events, drives, shows, marketing or other internal vehicle shows
· Interface with production engineering, purchasing, prototyping and suppliers to deliver the vehicles on time to a higher than expected level
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· An understanding of vehicle systems
· Desire to be hands on for vehicle builds, diagnostics and repairs
· Experience in vehicle manufacturing, design, packaging, and prototyping
· The ability to quickly make tradeoffs and decisions to drive progress
· Knowledge of prototype process –low volume manufacturing and fabrication – with quality, cost, and timing tradeoffs
· The ability to use CAD to design parts
· A bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent
· A minimum of 5 years of production development[ML1]
· Strong team work skills, the ability to collaborate, and a positive attitude
· An open mind to challenge convention and work to create thing in ways that haven’t been done before
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Special Projects
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.