Senior Battery Cell Modeling Engineer, Stationary ESS
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Stationary Storage /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
· Develop models to predict lifetime of lithium ion cells using semi-empirical for cycling and calendar life
· Predict lifetime of lithium ion cells and packs under different usage and operating conditions
· Model thermal behavior of the cell and pack and their effect on battery cell lifetime
· Design of experiment to validate/calibrate models at cell/pack levels
· Develop specifications for cell that meets lifetime target for Rivian stationary energy storage applications
· Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results
· Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology
· Review academic literature of lithium ion cells and beyond in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· At least a Masters Degree in an Engineering discipline, PhD preferred
· At least 2 years of industrial experience in modeling the cell’s lifetime
· Strong understanding of electrochemistry and thermal behavior of lithium ion cells
· Deep knowledge of using DQdV, dVdQ to identify degradation/failure mode of lithium ion cells
· Strong understanding of degradation mechanisms of lithium ion cells
· Strong understanding of cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell
· Strong understanding about the relationship between pack design and it’s performance and lifetime
· Familiar with potentiostat, cyclers and electrochemical characterization
· Experience with Python and MATLAB/Simulink
· Problem solving skills, ability to think outside the box
· Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
· Passionate about research/work; willing to put extra effort to get the job done; Work well both individually and in a team
· Excellent communication skill
· Experience with FEA software (COMSOL preferred) is desired
· Experience in module/pack modeling is desired
· Experience with SOC, SOH, SOP prediction is a desired
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.