Corporate Counsel - Labor and Employment
Irvine, CA /
Legal, IP and Regulatory – Legal /
At Rivian, we’re reimagining what mobility can be. Beyond redesigning the automobile, we’re rethinking the entire ecosystem. From excitement to sustainability, utility to comfort, we’re working to deliver joyful mobility experiences without the pain points of today.
Our diverse team shares an innate curiosity for the world, a willingness to see things differently, and a passion for getting things done. We never stand still in our pursuit of progress, and we’re looking for the best and brightest talent to accelerate our vision toward future mobility.
Rivian has development centers in Plymouth, Michigan, San Jose and Irvine, as well as a production facility in Normal, Illinois, where our manufacturing operations will be based. The development of our first set of products is well underway, with the alpha prototypes complete and testing in process.
This is WHO you are:
You are self-motivated, confident, a leader, have great communication skills, creative and thrive in challenging and fast-paced environments.
This is what you’ll do:
· Develop the position of the employment law function within your area of support as a strategic adviser, building engagement with the People team and business partners.
· Provide advice and counsel on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including, leaves of absence, accommodations, workplace policies, recruiting, employee relations, performance management, and global compensation and benefits.
· Partner with People and Legal teams to analyze, diagnose, design, and revise HR programs, policies, and practices to implement scalable practices at a fast-growing company.
· Maintain working knowledge of company policies, as well as federal, state and local legislation, laws, and regulations.
· Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions.
· Investigate and respond to claims, demand letters, administrative complaints, audits, and other employment-related inquiries as needed.
· Support pre-litigation disputes with attorneys representing current and former employees to reach resolutions favorable to company. Partner with HR and outside counsel to gather information and develop Rivian’s strategic legal position.
· Assist in developing and conducting training and education programs for employees, managers, and the People team.
Stay up to date and effectively communicate new legal developments and help ensure ongoing compliance.
· Provide support for various projects and matters as assigned by the Chief Labor and Employment Counsel.
this is what you’ll need:
· Must have a J.D. from an ABA-approved law school and be a licensed active bar member in good standing in at least one state
· At least five (5) years of labor and employment experience
· In-house experience as an employment lawyer at a technology or automotive company, preferred
· Experience managing and completing complex projects
· Excellent knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations (including ADA, ADEA, FMLA, CFRA, FEHA, FLSA, IWC Wage Orders, etc.)
· Experience providing advice and counsel to management and Human Resource professionals on a broad range of employment issues, including recruiting; hiring; discipline and terminations; leaves of absence; wage and hour compliance; EEO compliance; restrictive covenants; and contingent worker issues
· Experience managing outside counsel on employment litigation matters
· Experience supporting HR and business executives regarding employee handbooks, policies and procedures, internal trainings, offer letters, termination agreements, bonuses, and other compensation matters
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills
· Strong client relations skills
· A commitment to teamwork, collaboration and professionalism
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.