Sr. Product Liability Engineer - High Voltage Systems
Palo Alto, CA /
Service Operations – Service /
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
● Support Service Organization with in-depth analysis of customer concerns where vehicle safety or performance is in question
● Investigate vehicle collisions and accidents involving Rivian vehicles and advise Service Operations and Legal teams regarding vehicle performance
● Work closely with Reliability and Engineering teams to improve active and passive vehicle safety systems
● Work with ADAS and Technical Publication teams to ensure customers are well informed of the capabilities and limitations of their vehicle’s driver assist feature sets
● Function as a liaison for legal partners in the areas of: vehicle dynamics, vehicle safety and vehicle behaviors
● Define and ensure systems and process are in place to comply with customer privacy and data collection laws enforced in all markets in which Rivian products are sold
● Conduct field investigations, crash reconstruction, and in field data collection as needed to support review of vehicle incidents
● Support the diagnostics design engineering team with the development, testing, validation, and maintenance of the vehicle diagnostics system and tools related to the diagnosis and reporting of active and passive vehicle safety systems and vehicle telemetry
● Identify, define, promote emerging product and service issues to appropriate channels and into a closed loop system for problem resolution
● Identify, lead and ensure vehicle containment or vehicle fleet recalls are escalated and acted upon quickly and appropriately
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
· 5+ years of experience in automotive industry, with emphasis in engineering or vehicle diagnostics
· BS or MS preferred in related engineering discipline
· Experience with analysis of large data sets
· Crash reconstruction experience a plus
· Experience functioning as a technical or expert witness in courtroom setting
· Working understanding of automotive safety standards and the governing bodies that enforce them in North American and European markets
· Experience with or understanding of vehicle OEM and governing body regulatory compliance
· Specific knowledge of engineering discipline (e.g. mechanics, physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, control systems) within job-related area
· Broad experience defining, launching, and driving strategic process design initiatives to establish and improve internal and external processes and operations
· Track record of working closely with cross-functional teams and stakeholders in a technology environment
· Process design experience, with proven ability to understand, document, and transform complex processes
· Strong analytical and structured problem-solving capabilities with high level analytical ability where opportunities for improvement are unusual and complex
· Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with internal and external partners
· Experience in a startup environment and scaling teams from a blank slate is a plus.
· Ability to travel as needed
· Strong written and communications skills
· Extremely detail oriented
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Service Operations
Location: Palo Alto, CA
We Are Rivian
· Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Starting from a clean sheet has allowed us to learn from and leverage what’s been done in the past while giving us the freedom to reimagine mobility from the ground up. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways.
· We believe in the power of adventure. While a vehicle can’t make someone adventurous, it can nurture that fundamental desire in each of us to go places we’ve never been and do things we’ve never done — thoughtfully and sustainably. Science and invention depend on our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.
· Our development centers are located in Plymouth, MI, San Jose, CA, Irvine, CA and Surrey, England. In addition to these four locations, we have a modern manufacturing facility in Normal, IL and will begin production of our R1T and R1S in 2020.
The Adventure Is Just Beginning
· Doing something different is never easy. It requires courage, optimism and grit. Core to delivering on our vision is building a team of curious individuals, determined to make a positive impact on the world. This means challenging ourselves, stretching beyond the bounds of conventional thinking, reframing old problems, seeking new solutions and operating comfortably in a space of uncertainty.
· Our team has a diverse set of backgrounds— but at heart, we are adventurers on a mission to move the world in a new direction. We’re currently looking for thinkers and doers with a strong sense of adventure to join us on this journey.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.