Sr. Mechanical Engineer, Advanced Engineering
Carson, CA /
Propulsion – Electric Power Conversion /
This is what you’ll do:
· Investigating and evaluating advanced power electronics technologies for on and off-vehicle applications
· Developing high frequency switching power device packaging concepts for on-vehicle converters for upcoming new Rivian products
· Developing new methods of power converter packaging
· Supporting advanced manufacturing team and other cross-functional teams to develop power electronics production equipment
· Building new component basic structural or thermal models and running simulations
· Working with component suppliers and managing them
· Building “Proof of Concept” hardware samples and performing testing
· Reporting product development status to management
· Developing thermal design concepts for liquid and forced air cooled power electronics
· Releasing components in Enovia Systems, and BOM management
· Supporting resolution of engineering issues and implementation of short- and long-term solutions
This is what you’ll need:
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering field.
· Minimum 7 years of professional work experience as a mechanical engineer
· Ability to work independently and manage several challenging projects simultaneously
· Knowledge or experience with power switching devices and electrical components
· Automotive Supply Chain Experience
· Experience in developing high volume product manufacturing processes such as welding, soldering, and sintering
· Experience in performing structural and thermal basic FEA analysis
· Experience with schematic capture, simulation, PCB layout and BOM management.
· Knowledge of manufacturing fabrication processes such as sheet metal forming, plastic injection molding, wiring harness , and die casting
· Proficient with CATIA V6 software including part design, and assembly design
· Familiarity with SAE, UL, NEC, and IEC Standards are preferred
· Proficient with Microsoft office tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Electric Power Conversion Group (EPC)
Location: Carson CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.