Principal Controls Systems Engineer, Stationary Storage ESS
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Stationary Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Be the systems and controls technical lead for stationary energy storage systems development programs
· Lead the design review process
· Mentor and guide system, software and hardware engineers
· Lead the systems design process to analyze stationary storage system and end-user specifications to derive sub-system requirements and develop requirements specifications & requirements verification traceability
· Define and lead trade studies for new programs
· Ensure sub-systems integration and coordination
· Communicate with engineers to update/modify documentation to maintain accurate representation of deliverables; Use tracking tools such as Confluence and JIRA to capture changes
· Lead analysis of technical risks associated with various electrical and controls solutions
· Lead the development of test plans
This is what you’ll need:
· System engineering experience on large multi-disciplinary projects
· Experience with requirements management tools (Jama preferred) and agile project management and documentation tools (Jira and Confluence preferred)
· Experience working with high voltage systems and in a high voltage lab
· Experience designing and releasing parts and systems according to a new product introduction process that includes design reviews, lifecycle management (Enovia PLM preferred), FMEAs, standards for drawings and defined milestones
· Holistic understanding of mechanical and electrical system and components interdependence
· Experience with prototyping builds
· Experience with battery energy storage system requirements
· Previous experience with utility scale and commercial & industrial energy storage systems
· Strong understanding of electric vehicle battery packs
· Experience with model based design (Matlab/Simulink) and embeddd C is a plus
· 15+ years industry experience
· At least a Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline, Masters preferred
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.