Senior Battery Materials Engineer
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
· Responsible for consultation, selection, development, testing, qualifying, and implementation of material selection in current and future battery pack designs.
· Responsible to work as part of a team conducting materials, metallurgical, and mechanical failure analysis, as well as, product development and accelerated testing, including their mechanics and characterizations.
· Responsible for selection of metals, ceramics, glass, various polymers, adhesives, and other advanced materials.
· Responsible for planning and executing laboratory tests, Field inspections, materials characterization, directing SEM operation, and optical materials characterization
· Leading and conducting failure analysis
· Responsible to Identify and conduct evaluation of material candidates, such as engineering metals, adhesives, plastics and composites, working closely with mechanical design, electrical design and manufacturing engineering team.
· Develop and support suppliers in development of novel production methods of materials.
· Support optimizing process parameters for manufacturing processes of materials.
· Carry out materials characterization and performance evaluation by conducting analytical studies and collaborating with process/reliability teams.
· Develop structure-property relationship for materials
· Understand mechanical properties of materials and relevance to the application. Support the design team with mechanical analysis of components and FEA.
· Write materials specifications, test procedures and SOW’s.
· Engage with and manage external partners and vendors for materials development and drive to successful realization in production.
· Develop and evaluate improved and optimized composition of custom formulations.
· Perform stress testing and reliability testing on materials and components.
· Write and manage Battery System material requirements.
· Work with ESS CAE team to define and submit simulation requests as needed for design validation and correlation with test.
· Participate in battery component and system DFMEAs.
· Support Rivian Validation team to develop DVP from component requirements and DFMEA.
· Support prototype builds to execute development testing and support development vehicle program.
· Support ongoing product development efforts for cost reduction, design improvements
This is what you’ll need:
· Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering and familiarity with Mechanical Engineering
· Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering is preferred, Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in experience is required.
· Proficient with statistical software, SQL data mining, scripting languages, mechanical design software and FEA
· Exceptional organization, cross discipline collaboration and communication skills.
· Detailed-oriented, able to work both independently and in a collaborative project-focused environment, prompt and dependable, and excellent communication skills
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.