Functional Safety Engineer, ESS
Irvine, CA /
Propulsion – Energy Storage /
This is what you’ll do:
- Develop Software Functional Safety work products to support the Safety Case of the Rivian Battery System
- Detail software unit specifications and software safety requirements
- Specify and develop software safety algorithms to support the battery safety concept
- Specify and conduct software unit tests to support verification and validation and continuous test system
- Contribute to the Technical Safety Concept of the Battery System
- Develop and contribute to Fault Tree Analysis, FMEDA analysis, FMEA and generation of software and hardware diagnostic requirements
- Contribute to the safety analysis of Rivian battery hardware design
- Derive and implement diagnostic and fault management requirements from safety analysis.
- Use best-practices, experience, and talents to create battery control software for production ECU:
o Assess input & output constraints to best develop firmware model and compile into executable code
o Utilize a variety of debug tools to aid and speed your development; writing scripts, gui’s, & executables
o Use your battery knowledge to contribute to the ESS cell research team
o Design other important software components of the BMS, involving diagnostics, fault detection, and more
- Coordinate & work with engineers across multiple disciplines to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks:
o Collaborate with software engineers to integrate application-layer software into RTOS
o Collaborate with validation engineers to test your models & firmware functionality
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years of work experience in the battery and/or automotive industries
- Previous experience in automotive product development or extreme safety environments
- Training in ISO26262 development process and analysis techniques
- At least a bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- Experience with programming and embedded systems; Well-versed with software development & C programming
- Previous programming experience on Battery Management Systems, or automotive ECUs
- Experience with model-based design; creating control systems & models with Matlab/Simulink
- Excellent problem-solving skills; reliant on core engineering principals & common sense
- Strong communication, multitasking, & inter-personal skills, both in presentation & technical writing
- Versed in production development & testing timelines
- Experience with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.) and issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc. )
- Previous experience with product launches and working to a schedule
- Ability and desire to share/communicate subject matter expertise and knowledge effectively with other employees, contractors and external customers
- Ability to write technical documents, draft patents and articles
We Are Rivian
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.