Irvine, CA /
IT and Technology – Electrical Hardware /
Rivian is seeking an engineer interested in antenna and RF design, simulation, proof of concept, and testing related work. This engineer will have extensive experience in working on a range of RF and antenna systems. The work includes; modeling and simulation work, lab and electronics related work, development of prototypes for performance evaluation, supplier engagements, and testing of antenna and RF systems. We seeking an engineer with a technical foundation in RF and antennas that would enjoy the challenge of modeling a variety of antenna / RF systems, doing hands on prototype development and testing and system level analysis.
This is what you'll do:
· Antenna and RF subsystem performance on Rivian designed vehicles, including review of link budgets, packaging, and antenna design.
· Representing RF performance in vehicle packaging studies and reviews.
· Engaging cross-functional teams, including body structures, styling, and EMC, to drive RF design and optimize for overall vehicle RF performance, cost, invest, tooling, and mass.
· Leading complete life-cycle development and integration of antennas including specifications, supplier bids, supplier down-selection, technical management of suppliers, integration, test and performance measurements, and final release of products
· Generating subsystem and antenna component specifications, integration and performance test procedures, and documentation. Interfaces with other Engineers, Labs, and Technicians to coordinate tests.
· Design, analyses, modeling, and simulation of innovative antennas, waveguides, transmission lines, and related structures to meet demanding requirements for peak and average power-handling, bandwidth, efficiency, gain, radiation patterns, compact packaging, and similar.
· Performing RF/antenna vehicle systems analyses such as assessment of dynamic range, noise figure, attenuation, intermodulation, antenna noise temperature G/T and EIRP calculations.
This is what you’ll have:
· Bachelors Degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
· Minimum of 5 years proven professional work experience in Engineering, preferably in automotive, commercial, or aerospace sectors.
· Minimum of 4 years proven professional work experience in RF Engineering.
· Must be familiar with Electromagnetic modeling/simulation tools, such as HFSS, ADS, CST, COMSOL Multiphysics, and analytical tools such as MATLAB and similar.
· Must possess a good understanding of, and preferably hands-on experience with, making measurements in RF/microwave anechoic chambers.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and an academic background, which includes one or more of the following courses: Microwave Engineering, Electromagnetic Theory, Antenna Theory, Communications Engineering.
· Ability to work as a member of a disciplined team of Developers and Engineers.
· Broad knowledge of antenna theory, antenna technology, and antenna manufacturing processes.
· Knowledge/experience in high peak-power antenna design (~UHF thru X-band, or higher).
· Single/multi-band low profile antennas, waveguides, transmission lines, and baluns.
· Antenna characterization, including near-field, far-field, and compact-range based methods.
· Electrically-steered arrays and techniques.
· Custom design of microwave components such as transitions, polarizers, duplexers, filters, etc.
· Experience in meta-materials, frequency-selective surfaces, and/or reflect-arrays is a plus.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Electrical Hardware
Location: Irvine CA
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.