Senior Data Scientist
New York, NY or Remote /
Who We Are
Ro is a direct-to-patient healthcare company with a mission of helping as many patients as possible achieve their health goals. Ro is the only company to offer telehealth care, at-home diagnostic testing, labs, and pharmacy services nationwide. This is enabled by Ro's vertically integrated platform that helps patients achieve their goals through a convenient end-to-end healthcare experience spanning from diagnosis, to delivery of medication, to ongoing care. Since 2017, Ro has helped millions of patients in nearly every single county in the United States, including 98% of primary care deserts.
Ro was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2022, listed by Inc. Magazine as a Best Place to Work in 2022 for our third consecutive year, and named one of FORTUNE's 2022 Best Medium Workplaces.
Ro is looking for a versatile Senior Data Scientist with a strong machine learning background to take on a central and multi-faceted role in our Data organization. You will report to the Director of Data Science and Machine Learning and serve a key role at Ro. You will build the systems that define and support experiences of Ro’s patients, providers, and internal teams, from assessing opportunities to developing and deploying machine learning models to working on research projects you can expect to have a deep impact on Ro and our patients.
What You'll Do:
- Architect, build, and deploy robust ML models across a variety of domains (e.g. supervised learning, NLP, causal inference, etc) to explain or predict patient behavior and business outcomes
- Ideate, build, and iterate on machine learning models and pipelines in collaboration with stakeholders including business and clinical leaders, product managers, researchers, analysts, and engineers
- Present ideas and results, including translating business objectives to DS/ML problems and vice versa
- Independently utilize large data sets to uncover, size, and advocate for DS/ML opportunities that improve the experience for patients, providers, or internal teams
- Contribute to solving opaque, unstructured problems by developing core DS/ML frameworks that shape the company's approach to data
- Contribute to Ro’s IP portfolio by designing and building novel ML solutions that result in peer-reviewed publications or patents
- Make Ro an even better place to work by increasing data literacy and expertise through mentorship, hands-on training, development of DS/ML best practices, and documentation
What You'll Bring:
- 4+ years of hands-on professional experience building ML models for large-scale applications
- MS/PhD in a quantitative or scientific discipline or comparable professional experience
- Track record of successfully owning projects from conception to completion, including operationalizing problems, conducting independent research, evaluating experiments, deploying ML models, and inventing novel Machine Learning techniques to solve complex problems
- Interest in being an early DS/ML team member, including the ability to work across a range of DS/ML methodologies to build a portfolio of high value work, and a preference to work iteratively with your teammates and stakeholders rather than working alone for long periods of time and presenting results intermittently
- A bias for action, and sense of comfort working in a highly collaborative, nuanced environment where the problems you’re tackling span a range of domains and stakeholders, or lack established solutions
- A deep understanding of what makes for well engineered software systems, and experience building production grade ML models
- A love for learning new skills or domains and sharing your knowledge freely, proactively, and effectively with others who are interested
- An attitude of generosity and fun - you can take your work seriously without taking yourself too seriously
- Experience working with healthcare data, personal interest in improving the state of healthcare
- Peer reviewed publications in relevant outlets (e.g. IEEE, JMLR, ACL, JAMIA, etc), ML or healthcare related patents or meaningful open source contributions
- Experience using Domino Data Lab for deploying ML models and experimentation
Tools We Use:
- Python, including common ML/DL packages like NumPy, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, SciPy
- Snowflake + DBT
- Git + GitHub
- Domino Data Lab
We've Got You Covered:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance + OneMedical membership
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Wellbeing + Learning & Growth reimbursements
- Paid parental leave + Fertility benefits
- Pet insurance
- Student loan refinancing
- Virtual resources for mindfulness, counseling, fitness, and physical therapy
The salary range for this position is $154,700 - $185,000. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in New York City. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
Ro recognizes the power of in-person collaboration, while supporting the flexibility to work anywhere in the United States. For our Ro’ers in the tri-state (NY) area, you will join us at HQ on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For those outside of the tri-state area, you will be able to join in-person collaborations throughout the year (i.e., during team on-sites).
At Ro, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in healthcare. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to building an inclusive environment where you can be you.