Sr. Data Scientist
Robin was started in 2014 as a spinoff of a digital agency. There, in touring clients' offices, we saw an opportunity to tackle the workplace hurdles everyone encountered. Meetings were constantly rescheduled due to overbooking and stolen rooms. People lacked the right office space for tasks at hand. Something had to give. Five years later, we're tackling the workplace experience one square foot at a time.
Based in Boston, we're made up of over 70 diverse employees today, with remote colleagues from California to Lithuania. Robin's crew includes foodies, sculptors, writers, artists, athletes, sneakerheads, hikers, skiers, skaters, runners and more. And we're all united behind the idea of making thousands of offices around the world (like HubSpot, Shopify, and Kayak) more enjoyable places to walk into each day.
Robin is looking for our first Data Scientist to join our already strong data and analytics team. You’ll get in at the ground level and will help us define our data science practices and approaches in order to gain actionable insights from our office and meeting space data. Your models will help offices big and small to better utilize their current spaces, plan for future growth, and be more efficient by choosing better times and location for their activities. You’ll work closely with engineering on a daily basis and help shepherd machine learning models into production services and features.
Here’s what your week might look like as a Sr. Data Scientist:
- Work with Product Management and Engineering to identify and implement data-driven models in order to solve real-world problems.
- Perform research and explore large data sets in order to develop new insights.
- Help hire additional members into the team over the course of 2019.
- Mentor and teach others in the organization (Engineering, Product, Sales, Marketing) about data science and it’s an application to practical insights.
- Help facilitate and coordinate software implementation into production APIs. Iterate on existing ideas and innovate with new ones.
You’ll be successful if you’re the type of engineer who:
- Highly invested in data consistency and reliability of models.
- Self driven and an independent worker.
- A strong collaborative voice within a cross-functional team.
- Someone with strong strategic and analytical judgment.
- Familiar with data exploration and visualization tools.
- Able to tell a story through data.
- Familiar with Operations Research, including linear programming, scheduling and its intersection with machine learning.
Your background includes:
- 3+ years hands on industry experience
- Academic background in applied mathematics, operations research, machine learning, computer science or related field, advanced degree preferred
- Solid understanding of how to optimize constrained systems, linear programming, and schedule optimization.
- Extensive hands-on experience working with large, real world mutable datasets.
- Strong understanding of real world office place mechanics and scheduling.
- 3+ years programing in Python or R. Solid understanding of SQL.
- Understanding of solid scientific principles: attention to experimental design, causality, bias, significance, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude
About our engineering team:
- We are a group of hard-working, self-managed developers.
- We’re dedicated to learning, and we invest time in teaching and mentoring each other.
- We encourage frequent feedback from every person on the team.
- We’re always looking to improve our code—we embrace the “do it right” mentality.
- We work with multiple technologies and languages, and are willing to pick up something new to get the job done.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are ADA compliant and handicap accessible.