Staff Software Engineer
Utah or Arizona /
Engineering – Platform/E-com /
About Rocket Lawyer
We believe everyone deserves access to affordable and simple legal services.
Founded in 2008, Rocket Lawyer is the largest and most widely used online legal service platform in the world. With offices in North America and Europe, Rocket Lawyer has helped over 20 million people create over 3 million legal documents, and answer over 30,000 legal questions.
We are in a unique position to enhance and expand the Rocket Lawyer platform to a scale, never seen before in the company’s history, to capture audiences worldwide. We are expanding our team to take on this challenge!
About the Role
Rocket Lawyer is seeking an experienced, passionate Staff Engineer who wants to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a talented agile team. As part of a cross-functional team consisting of a product manager, designer, and 4-6 software engineers and QA analysts, you will be an active partner in the design, coding, unit testing, and release of new features and enhancements for our growing customer base.
We value a fun, collaborative, team-oriented work environment, and we celebrate our accomplishments.
A Day in the Life
- Participate in defining our evolving global platform architecture
- Design and build world-class software components, including: services, APIs, tooling, and technical documentation
- Give feedback to and proactively seek it from your peers and stakeholders
- Work with DevOps team to ensure smooth deployment
- Demonstrate your work to internal and external audiences
- Be active within the wider engineering community
- Experiencing being a technical lead
- Experiencing shipping an supporting commercial Saas products
- BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- 9+ years experience in high-growth technology environments
- Strong command of Java and OO design and principles
- Strong understanding of microservices architecture
- Experience designing and developing web service APIs
- Experience working with event streaming architectures
- Experience working with Relational and NoSQL databases
- Practiced test-driven development utilizing unit testing frameworks and automated testing tools
- Experience working in an agile/iterative environment
- Experience with Git
- Must be proactive, thorough and organized
- Demonstrated success working with small, collaborative cross-functional teams
- Experience with Cloud Platforms like GCP or AWS
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience developing internationalized software
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Redis and HBase
- Familiarity with Jenkins and CI/CD environments
Nice to have