Strategy & Scalability Manager
Nashville, TN /
Network Support – Strategy and Scalability /
At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential. We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential. And it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.
The Strategy & Scalability (S&S) team focuses on building the strategy, structures, and systems to enable organizational scale. Working closely with the Senior Leadership Team and Regional Leaders, S&S leads growth, strategic planning, and cross-functional initiatives across the organization, such as new school/region greenlighting and annual planning. We also serve as an internal consulting arm, collaborating with teams across the organization to execute on strategic priorities.
Are you a strategic problem solver seeking to make an impact on a fast-growing charter network? Rocketship is looking for a Strategy & Scalability Manager. This position will report to the Director of Strategy & Scalability and work closely with cross-functional teams across the organization. The ideal candidate enjoys both strategic thinking about the big picture and diving deep into the execution of strategic and operational projects.
- Regional Strategic Partnership (70%): You will serve as a strategic partner to our Milwaukee, Nashville, and East Bay regional teams (currently serving 7 schools) to support key initiatives and processes, including:
- Regional Planning (25%): By supporting annual planning and enrollment planning, you will help shape and define our regional strategy.
- Annual Planning: You will work closely with our regional leaders to help set their annual priorities and budget.
- Enrollment Planning: You will work with our Principals, Schools, Family Recruitment, Talent, and Finance teams to ensure all Rocketship schools are fully enrolled.
- Growth (15%): By supporting Rocketship’s growth through greenlighting, design phase, and new school startup, you will be contributing to a mission critical organizational priority. You will work with a cross-functional team to open new schools, from conducting due diligence on potential locations to project managing the school start-up process. You will work to codify and systematize these processes in order to drive efficiencies in the organization. This work will require strong analytical, project management, and communication skills to ensure all teams are aligned and on track.
- Special Projects (30%): You will also work with our regional leaders and cross-functional teams to drive on regional priorities, requiring:
- Gathering, analyzing, and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data from various sources to help develop data-driven recommendations
- Managing cross-functional teams and communicating results/recommendations
- Monitoring project progress and resolving or escalating issues to senior management as appropriate
- For example, you will support our regional COVID-19 responses, charter renewals, and other ad hoc regional strategy projects/initiatives.
- Org-wide Initiatives and Scalable Systems Building (30%): Finally, a crucial part of your role will be supporting org-wide priorities as well as creating and maintaining systems and processes that help make Rocketship increasingly efficient as we grow. Examples include working with our schools, functional, and regional teams to clearly define our network supports as we shift to greater regional capacity; managing a Family Relief Fund that helps ensure our families’ most basic needs are met during the COVID-19 crisis; and building and maintaining a dashboard to track regional health metrics. This work requires not only a strong problem-solving skill set, but also a practical approach with an eye towards feasibility, change management, and execution.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-7 years of experience, ideally in a strategy or management consulting role
- Deep commitment to Rocketship’s mission to eliminate the achievement gap and a willingness to go above and beyond to work together toward our shared goals
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities
- Systems-thinking orientation and drive to build and codify sustainable solutions
- Superb project management skills including ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Clear and structured communication
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, collaborative, and open to feedback, able to thrive in a fast-paced and evolving startup environment
Please submit a copy of your resume online along with a cover letter that addresses the following questions:
1. Why do you want to work at Rocketship?
2. Why are you interested in the Strategy & Scalability Manager position?
3. Why do you think you would excel as Strategy & Scalability Manager?
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools’ employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy and here for our Title IX Policy. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Equity/Discrimination Title IX Compliance Officer, Address: 350 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 109, Redwood City, CA 94065. Phone: 877-806-0920 ext. 115.