East Bay, CA /
2023-2024 School Leader – Assistant Principal /
At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential. We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential. And it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.
Assistant Principals (APs) at Rocketship are charged with driving academic achievement for students and building a rigorous college preparatory school culture. Every AP at Rocketship works closely with their Principal to lead and implement the instructional vision for one to three grade levels. APs manage and coach teachers in their grade levels by leading data analysis cycles, regularly observing classrooms, providing continuous feedback, and co-planning units of study and lesson plans aimed at increasing educator effectiveness and leadership. APs also serve as cultural and community leaders by building teacher capacity in culture, behavior, and parent engagement.
Rocketship campuses are supported by a school leadership team that includes the Principal, Assistant Principals, a Business Operations Manager, and an Office Manager. APs share responsibility across the school leadership team for professional development, culture and behavior in common spaces, and special events. Together, they lead a team of teachers, tutors, enrichment coordinators, and support staff who collectively deliver gap-closing, personalized instruction to students from pre-K to fifth grade.
Rocketship attracts school leaders with ambitious aspirations. Just as we are committing to propelling student growth we are dedicated to advancing the careers of our exceptional talent. As an AP, you will receive ongoing professional development in conducting rigorous observations, providing meaningful feedback, and executing useful planning and analysis. Additionally, Rocketship is a rapidly growing network which provides APs with a number of career paths both within our schools and on the Network Support Team.
Reports to the Principal and direct reports include teachers, enrichment center coordinators and tutors.
The salary range for this position starts at $100,000
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Believes that adult preparation is essential to student success.
- Has a desire to become an elementary content expert and is eager to use that knowledge to develop teachers who demonstrate excellence in their planning and execution of lessons.
- Understands that eliminating the achievement gap is hard work but deeply rewarding and within their control.
Essential Functions: Developing Effective Educators
- Rocketship Assistant Principals are deeply committed to the success of each Rocketeer and the daily workload reflects that commitment.
- Foster a rigorous and college preparatory culture of excellence in every classroom that ensures high levels of student achievement.
- Coach grade level teams to build content expertise in Humanities or STEM.
- Engage in cycles of data driven instruction and assessments to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs.
- Ensure at least 1.5 years of progress for all Rocketeers annually through management and planning.
- Collaborate with the Special Education team to ensure teachers are receiving the necessary support and training to maximize the delivery of instruction in our full inclusion model.
- Other duties as assigned
- Teaching: Assistant Principals will at times be required to step in and teach to either model for teachers, provide assistance to teachers or the school community, or to more deeply internalize the school model. Additionally, as part of onboarding, all new Rocketship Assistant Principals will be expected to teach for three or more weeks to learn the curriculum and model.
Essential Functions: Student and Parent Partnership
- Rocketship Assistant Principals succeed in partnership with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their child's first teacher.
- Create a school community that fully involves parents in student achievement through multiple outlets including home visits, regular community meetings, and parent/family meetings.
Essential Functions: Rocketship Professional Culture
- Rocketship Assistant Principals are deeply committed to doing and being their best, and to growing their skills as professionals and as individuals, so our daily and annual expectations reflect that commitment.
- Exhibit a high level of honest and humble self-reflection owning good and bad outcomes; effectively respond to and implement constructive feedback.
- Create a healthy, high-achieving, urgent environment where staff and students feel challenged and also fully supported and valued.
- Promote and participate in collaborative opportunities across schools to share best practices, problem solve, and gather feedback.
- 3+ years of experience teaching in an urban city classroom and realizing significant gains.
- Deep knowledge of elementary instruction and planning skills.
- Strong leadership skills and personal drive.
- Relentless pursuit of high expectations.
- Result-oriented and data-driven.
- Ability to inspire, motivate and develop others.
- Adaptable and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to engage and empower parents and families.
- Experience in building and maintaining outstanding school culture.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strategic planning and project management experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- BA from Accredited University
- Teaching Credential Required
$100,000 - $118,000 a year
Rocketship is committed to the health and safety of our Rocketeers and complies with federal and state vaccine guidelines. For this reason, Rocketship is requiring employees in most regions, including National, California, District of Columbia, and Wisconsin employees, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Tennessee and Texas regions are not included in this requirement. Under this requirement, applicable employees are subject to vaccination as a condition of employment or subject to religious or medical exemptions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and wellness benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools’ employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Human Resources.