Site Reliability Engineer
Engineering – Engineering /
Full Time - Remote
Rockset’s vision is to make the world more data driven. Building powerful data applications today requires a combination of complex interdependent data management systems that often resembles a Rube Goldberg machine of sorts. At Rockset, we imagine a world where developers and data scientists go from complex data sets to fast interactive applications and analysis effortlessly, within minutes. Rockset is built by experts with decades of experience in web-scale data management and distributed systems. Our team comprises engineers who helped create the online data and search infrastructure at Facebook, founded the Hadoop Filesystem project at Yahoo, implemented the Gmail backend and Kubernetes at Google, and built databases at Oracle.
We're a fast-growing company. We value curiosity, diversity, and open-mindedness. You will solve interesting problems, surrounded by exceptional people, while making customers happy. We work hard, but also take our personal lives and experiences seriously. We are backed by Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital, and headquartered in San Mateo, CA with offices in Boston, MA and London, UK.
As a site reliability engineer, you will be responsible for the automation, stability, security, configuration, monitoring, alerting, and capacity planning of Rockset's network, systems, and infrastructure. You will also build tools that help the rest of the engineering team be more productive, and including the ones that Rockset engineers use to deploy and manage their services. You will have a foundational impact on shaping the team and the systems we create. The on-call pager is shared by most of the engineering team, not just SRE.
Our infrastructure is completely hosted in Amazon Web Services. We use a variety of home grown, open source, and commercial tools, including Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, Zookeeper, Prometheus, Grafana, Salt, Terraform, Phacility, and Buildkite. We try to deploy new code to our production environment twice a week, but as an SRE you can expect to make production changes on a daily basis.
You should expect to collaborate with all other engineering teams to develop solutions that meet reliability, security, and business requirements. Lastly, you will diagnose, triage, and build solutions for complex technical issues at scale.
You'd be a great fit if you are:
- Passionate about distributed systems, database technologies, and highly scalable services
- Poised under fire and willing to share an on-call rotation with the rest of the team
- A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to learn new skills and technologies
- Attentive to details and comfortable with ambiguity
It would be even more awesome if you also have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- Experience as an SRE for 3+ years
- Experience building and operating public-facing 24x7 web applications at scale
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure and patterns (AWS preferred)
- Strong programming skills in a scripted language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Experience with Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm, or similar container orchestration tools
- Experience with Terraform, Salt, Chef, Packer, or similar configuration management tools
- Experience with Grafana, Prometheus, Datadog, or similar monitoring tools
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.