Senior Backend Engineer
EST Timezone - Remote /
Research & Development – Engineering /
At Rollbar, our mission is to help developers build software quickly and painlessly. We are a ~80 -person team based in San Francisco, Barcelona, and Budapest. Over 100,000 developers use our product to innovate faster and decrease time to market while maintaining best-in-class customer experience.
Rollbar is used by some of the best engineering teams in the world, including Twilio, Salesforce, Zendesk, Affirm and Twitch.
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to join our Foundation team to not only help design, build and run our systems and services but also help in the reliability of our systems and enhance backend engineering at Rollbar.
We believe small autonomous and distributed teams are the most effective way to move faster and build dynamic systems. Our architecture and workflows are focused on scalable microservices (container-based), short cycle time and a highly agile culture.
Our tech stack:
- Python, Node.js
- SQL and NoSQL databases: MySQL, BigQuery, ClickHouse, Elasticsearch
- ETLs, Kafka, Apache Spark, Apache Hadoop, Grafana, Prometheus
- GitHub, CircleCI, Rollbar, DataDog, LaunchDarkly
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Spinnaker
- Google Cloud Platform
- Work with other engineers to design and build highly available and scalable services
- Measure and monitor service performance, availability, and reliability
- Implement performance improvements to our data processing pipeline
- Help migrate services and components out of our monolith for increase scalability
- Be in the on-call rotation and the first line of defense for major infrastructure issues
- Help improve the tools we use to build and run Rollbar
- 6+ years experience in Software Engineering with a solid foundation in Computer Science fundamentals
- Experience coding in Python, and excited to learn new languages and frameworks
- Experience working on microservices architecture and operating a cloud-based SaaS product on GCP or AWS at scale
- Experience building real-time streaming data pipelines and scaling large distributed systems
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Strong English communication skills, both in speech and writing
- Early-stage start-up experience
- Experience working with Kubernetes, MySQL, and Kafka at the system and application level
Benefits & Perks:
- Rapid career growth opportunities
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Parental leave: 12 weeks
- Generous hardware, software, and home office set up allowance
- Casual work environment
- Inclusive team-oriented culture
- Have fun and make an impact