Head of Design
Oakland, CA /
Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes. Our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective and simple. We want to use technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold and make real estate investing as simple as investing in stocks. Simply put, we are passionate about helping our customers build wealth through real estate.
Roofstock has been recognized as a great workplace Great Place to Work® and have been recently named to the Forbes Fintech 50 and the Red Herring 100 lists of most innovative companies. Roofstock has raised over $135M to date, is based in Oakland, CA and Dallas,TX with approximately 180 people and is growing rapidly. Check out our reviews and see why our employees love working here!
We've built an amazing culture where everyone has a voice. We're nice. We get things done. We have fun. We believe in work-life balance (yes, you can really take a vacation). And our values are pretty B.A.D.A.S.S.
Be customer obsessed.
Act like an owner, because you are one.
Don't be afraid to break things in the pursuit of better.
All of us are empowered to do the right thing.
Stay curious and create what's next. Fast.
Seriously. No jerks.
Roofstock is looking for the Head of Design to create best in class User Experience, Product Design and Brand/Communication for the Single-Family Rental Investments marketplace. As a design leader, you will collaborate with the management team to drive the overall vision and product strategy. As our ideal candidate you are a strong people leader who has a track record of building and developing a stellar design team. You are also very comfortable with rolling up your sleeves to do UI/UX design, user research, interaction design and prototyping. You are creative and an out of the box thinker, who aims to delight customers.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with product, marketing, engineering and other business leaders to define the product vision and strategy and ensure a consistent brand experience.
- Lead and mentor the design team including the UX function across both product & engineering, along with the marketing design team.
- Work with the marketing and the business development leaders to conceive and execute marketing programs, including but not limited to paid/organic search, presentations, events and acquisition/retention/social campaigns.
- Setup UX processes to create a sustainable design culture that can scale as the team grows, while maintaining a cohesive design across various form factors, features, and product lines.
- Coach teams through the process of planning, navigating trade-offs, stakeholder management and driving timely resolutions.
- Lead the team to be bold and design truly transformational products
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters degree preferred) in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product), HCI, CS or a related field.
- 8+ years experience (5+years of design experience with 3+years in leadership role).
- Experience managing a design function and working directly with the leadership team
- Superior people leaderships and development skills, having built and led teams or of 5+ designers.
- Compelling portfolio of distinctive work that spans product/service design and storytelling.
- Proven experience leading the design of large and complex interactive systems.
- Conversion rate optimization, e-commerce and consumer experience.
- Proven track record in information architecture, interface design, and visual design.
- A solid understanding and demonstration of user centered design principles with relentless attention to detail.
- Strong, clean visual design sense.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to flex communication and presentation style depending on the audience.
- Experience building online marketplaces, real-estate and financial applications is a plus.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, AJAX and jQuery is a plus.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%).
- Unlimited vacation and sick days
- Supplemental bonus to support "work from home" office needs
- Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
- As a remote team we are an upbeat and collaborative work culture
- Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.